Chapter Thirty Eight

Melanie glanced up from the table as the rest of the Great Hall fell silent to listen to the drama that was unfolding at the Gryffindor table. Immediately, her eyes focused on the curly headed boy that was her brother standing across from where Oliver sat.

"Oh Merlin..." she said in slight horror. She looked to Ace who seemed to realize what was happening as well. She stood up prepared to rescue Oliver and Todd from Carter's big mouth, but it seemed it was too late. She could hear the gasps and whispers erupt while Carter stood glaring at Oliver, waiting for an explanation.

"Ugh." she left the Ravenclaw table and trotted on over towards the Gryffindor table before grabbing Carter by the ear and pulling him out of the Great Hall.

"Ow! Ow! Ow! Stop it!" Carter cried.

She released her hold on his ear and glared at him. "What in the bloody hell do you think you're doing?"

"Me? I'm trying to figure out what's going on! Oliver did a bad thing Mel, he's going to hurt you-"

"Carter, I already know about the kiss." Melanie told him.

The young boy stared at her for a minute before growing flustered. "How is that you already found out?! How do you figure everything out?!"

"Carter relax. Ace told me. He was there with you..remember?"

"Oh..oh yeah!" Carter said smacking his forehead lightly. "I forgot about that. But still...Mel, he kissed someone else...after he took you on a date! I may not understand all this love nonsense, but I know that's not right."

"Breathe, Carter." Melanie said resting her hands on his shoulders. "It's okay. I'm okay with it."

"How are you okay with this?"

"Because I realized on my date with Oliver that..well...we're just not meant to be."

"Right, because he likes kissing boys." Carter said.

Melanie laughed. "Yes that's one good reason, but furthermore, we're just not compatible. I think we would make decent friends but nothing more." she explained.

"But..but.."

"I know this is confusing, Carter, but you're just going to have to trust me okay?"

Carter rolled his eyes. "Fine..whatever. All of you guys are so freakin' weird, it's not even funny."

"Yes, yes." she said with a nod of her head. "We're all a bit crazy..however...Carter you really shouldn't have done that."

"Done what?"

"What do you mean what? You called poor Wood and Todd out in front of everyone in the Great Hall...you don't know if they were ready to tell everyone about that..."

"Uh..they were practically snogging in the hall...where everyone could see them..so if they didn't want people to know about it...they failed on their own."

Melanie smiled at him before ruffling his hair. "Fair enough Carter, but still...you don't call people out on that kind of stuff. Not everyone is as accepting as we like to think."

"Why not?" Carter looked at her confused. "I mean, they're just like every other couple, right? If they like each other, they like each other...so what? I only had a problem with it, because I thought Oliver was hurting you."

"You have a good heart, Carter. The world could use a lot more people like you...maybe just quieter versions though."

Carter frowned slightly. "I should probably go back in and apologize then..shouldn't I?"

"No need."

The two Anderson siblings turned around to see Oliver and Todd coming out of the Great Hall.

Todd was the one who spoke. "I uh...I'm actually glad you said something Carter, at least on my behalf. I never could figure out the right time and place to tell people how I truly felt...and while I wasn't really going for a Great Hall announcement...I'm just glad it's finally out there. I feel like a great deal of weight has been lifted off my chest. So...thank you."

Everyone looked to Oliver, who had yet to say anything since the Great Hall. The boy swallowed before glancing up at Melanie and then to Carter.

"I could see why you called me out, Carter. I know you care a great deal about your sister and that's completely understandable. Melanie, I'm so sorry I really didn't want all this to unfold this way-"

"You don't have to apologize, Oliver." Melanie interrupted him. "It's okay. I understand fully...I realized after our date that it was never going to happen between us."

"You did?"

"Yeah...no offense." she smiled at him. "But the date kinda proved that we are on different pages and that's okay. I mean, I didn't expect for you to be on this page...but I guess it makes sense."

"I'm still trying to figure out what page I'm on to be honest." Oliver said.

"Take your time figuring it out." Melanie said. "No one's rushing you Wood."

"Thank you." he replied.

"No problem." she told him before hugging him. "I'm sorry my brother kinda put you out there in the Great Hall and Carter is sorry too. Aren't you Carter?"

"Not re-" Carter yelped as Melanie kicked his leg. "Yes, I'm sorry!"

"It's alright." Oliver said. "I'm not upset...I'm confused...but I'm not upset."

"So..can I go back inside now? And eat?" Carter asked them.

Melanie rolled her eyes at her little brother before Todd redirected Carter towards the Great Hall.

"Um...Melanie before you head back to dinner...can I talk to you for a moment?" Oliver asked.

"Yeah of course. What's up?"