Chapter Thirty Nine

Ace saw Todd and Carter walk back into the Great Hall and sit back down at the Gryffindor table. However, Melanie and Oliver still hadn't come back in.

"I wonder what's going on." Andy said.

"Maybe she killing him." Jenna shrugged. "She told Todd and Carter to come back in here so there would be no witnesses."

"But she said she wasn't mad at Oliver." Ace pointed out.

"That's what she wanted us to think. So it would look like she didn't have a motive to kill him. Well played, Mel, well played." Jenna nodded her head.

"You are so weird." Andy said looking at the girl.

"And wrong." Brandon said pointing in the direction of doors to see Oliver walk back inside and return to his table with Todd and Carter. Melanie came in a minute later, and returned to the Ravenclaw table.

She sat down, but didn't say anything to the group in the beginning.

"Well..." Brandon looked to Melanie only to be kicked under the table by everyone.

Melanie laughed as Brandon scooted away from all of them.

"It's fine. Everything is fine. We're all on good terms. Carter apologized for outing Oliver and Todd like that, but Todd was actually thanking him. Apparently, he's felt like this for awhile but just couldn't figure out the right time to tell everyone. Leave it to Carter to do it."

"Aww." Andy smiled. "I'm happy for him. Although, what a shocker, I would have never thought in a million years...the way he was always around the Hufflepuff girls."

"What about Oliver?" Jenna asked. "Is he really all about wands now?"

"To be honest, he's confused, which is understandable. I mean, his best friend basically kissed him, I think that would confuse most people." Melanie said.

Ace held his breath for a moment unbeknownst to anyone sitting at the table.

"But Todd knows Oliver better than anyone else at this castle. If it's going to work out with anyone it would be Todd in my opinion. I'm happy for them. Regardless of what happens between their relationship, I'm glad this all happened, all I feel is relief."

"Good for you, Mel." Jenna smiled. "Now celebrate with some potatoes."

After dinner, the group headed back to the Ravenclaw tower, Andy and Jenna left to the girl's dorm, while Brandon and Ace were about to head up to the boy's dorm. That was until Melanie called Ace to stay behind.

Brandon smiled and winked at Ace before heading up the stairs.

Ace walked over to where Melanie was sitting on one of the sofas.

"What's going on?" he asked. She patted the spot beside her, in which he sat down.

"We had an agreement didn't we?" she said. "No dates for Valentine's Day, we would sit around and eat chocolate until we hated ourselves?"

Ace laughed. "Right, but in fairness, you did technically have a date."

"Yeah, but it didn't turn out the exact way I planned."

"I'm sorry Mel. I really am, I know-"

"Don't be sorry, Ace!" she said shaking him. "It's okay. I don't want everyone feeling sorry for me. I just want to sit here with you and eat chocolate."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. And I know we agreed on the BYOC policy, but since I was in Hogsmeade, I decided to restock my stash. So.." she pulled out the bag of chocolate she had.

"You're the best." Ace said.

The two sat down the sofa in each othr's company eating the chocolate.

"This has been the craziest Valentine's Day ever. I'm pretty sure it tops my mother's Valentine's Day when she was in school."

"You mean that year she drank the love potion.."

"Yeah, I think this beats her."

"By far. I didn't see any of this coming."

"Me either. But life works in mysterious ways, doesn't it?"

"It certainly does.'

"By the way," Melanie said turning to face him, " I spoke with Oliver before I came back into the Great Hall, and I have a question for you?"

Ace felt his heart stop as Melanie neared him with a smile.

"W-what's that?" he asked.

"Well...do you like crystallized pineapple chunks?"

Ace sighed in relief as his heart was pounding wildly in his chest.

"We argued about this today, I personally find them disgusting." Melanie said, " but Oliver insisted they sounded tasty. What do you think?"

"I think...well personally, I wouldn't eat them, but I hate the taste of pineapple as it is. But to each their own I guess."

"You look mighty nervous, Ace, did you expect me to ask you something else?"

The boy swallowed and averted his gaze. "Yeah, but it's nothing-"

"Oh nothing? So you weren't expecting me to ask if you liked me more than a friend?"

Ace choked on the piece of chocolate in his mouth.