Chapter Thirty One

Valentine's Day had fallen upon Hogwarts which meant a day full of love, tears, overeating and teenage hormones running rampant.  The majority of the professors seemed to have their hands full with the drama of some students not finding dates or getting their hearts broken. The fortunate professors had dodged a bullet by hiding themselves away to completely avoid the cursed holiday.

Ace walked into the Great Hall that morning to find that everything in the hall was decorated in red and pink. It looked like Cupid had grown sick and threw up everywhere. To add a reminder to those that didn't have a date, the majority of the food was in the shape of hearts.

He passed a group of bitter girls keeping his head low and he knew making eye contact with them would probably be the last thing he ever did. He found Melanie sitting with her brother and Andy at the Ravenclaw table.

"I don't understand what the big deal is." Carter said. " I mean, it's just one day out of the year. It's not like they aren't single the rest of the year."

"Shhh, don't say that out loud!" Andy warned him. "They might hear you."

Carter turned his head to see several girls giving him a dirty look from one of the other tables.

He grimaced and looked to his sister.

"Don't worry about them Carter." Melanie smiled at him. " Valentine's Day can go one of two ways. You either have someone with you or you're constantly reminded that you don't have someone with you. It's a very difficult holiday."

"I don't understand it. There were girls my age crying about not having anyone. My age!" Carter pointed to himself.

"We live in disturbing times, Carter." Andy told him.

"What's going on here?"  Ace asked as he sat down.

"We're explaining to Carter the darkness of Valentine's Day.' Melanie smiled at him.

"That sounds fun."

"Fun? This is crazy! It's just one day out of the entire year!" Carter exclaimed.

"Sarcasm, Carter." Melanie said poking her brother on the forehead. "Learn it. Appreciate it."

"Whatever." Carter said pushing her hand away. "I'm getting out of here."

"Where are you going?" Melanie asked him. 

"I'm going to try to avoid all the crazy girls around here! I heard some were giving out love potions!" Carter told her before taking a last sip of his drink.

He was about to set his glass down when Andy winked at him. He peered down to his drink and suddenly spit it out.

"Carter!!" Everyone screeched as they were sprayed with the beverage.

Carter flashed the older students a smile before he ran out of the hall.

"Little doofus." Melanie chuckled. She instantly became distracted by a biscuit tray appearing down the table. "I'll be right back!"

Andy looked to Ace who's gaze followed Melanie as she traveled down the table.

"You should ask her out on a date." Andy whispered to him.

Ace turned to her with a bewildered look.

"What?" Ace swallowed hard.

'Come on, you have the perfect opportunity to do so."

"But Oliver-"

"Oliver hasn't asked her and I don't think he will make the move so do it! Do it while you have the chance, Ace."

"I shouldn't." Ace shook his head.

"Why. The. Hell. Not." Andy glared at him.

"Because she doesn't see me in that light Andy."

"Yet."

"She wants Oliver..."

"That's only because she hasn't had the opportunity to see you in that light. So ask her on a date so she can see what she's missing out on!"

Ace continued to shake his head.

"Why?!" Andy whined. "You two would be great together."

"There's no point in it, Andy. She doesn't want a relationship with me, she wants Oliver, she's made that quite clear. And at the end of this year, I'm leaving, you know?"

"So?! Long-term relationships can work! Come on, Ace, it could definitely work between you two."

"It would be selfish of me to pursue it." He smiled at Andy. "I know you mean well...but I think I could do Melanie one better."

He pushed himself up at the perfect timing of Oliver walking into the Great Hall with Todd.

"No, Ace, don't you do it! Ace, sit! Down! Ace!' Andy tried to call after him, but it was too late as the quidditch captain approached the other quidditch captain.

Andy covered her face as Jenna walked over and sat beside her.

"Well, it's nice to see you too." Jenna told her.

"I wasn't doing this because of you. I'm acting like this because Ace is being an idiot right now."

"What's he doing?"

"Not asking Melanie out on a date when he should be."

"Are you still on that?" Jenna asked making herself a place.

"Yes I am. I thought that her and Oliver were good for each other before but...I think Mel would be happier with Ace."

"You know what I think?" Jenna said. "I think Melanie would be happiest with pie."

"I'm not joking around, Jenna!"

"I wasn't joking around."