Five

"Hey," Kirstie smiled at everyone at rehearsal the next day. Everyone replied in their own ways, before engaging in chatter.

"Is everybody here, this time?" Esther walked inside of the room.

"Yeah, everyone's here." Mitch answered.

"Did you two solve your issues?" She pointed to Scott and Mitch.

"Yes we did." Scott replied.

"Yep..." Mitch nodded, biting his lip. Scott glared at Mitch causing him to put his mouth back into place. "I don't mean it like that, chill." Mitch whispered in Scott's ear.

"That's good. Now, we can actually rehearse." Esther sighed."Okay, let's get this over with. Kirstie you can start."

***

"Do you want to go to Starbucks with me?" Scott asked Mitch after everyone left.

"I guess so..." Mitch sighed.

"Do you need to call your mom or something?"

"No...it's fine..." the smaller boy shook his head.

"Okay." Scott grabbed Mitch's hand and pulled him to his car. The whole car ride, Mitch just stared down at his phone, which was off, clicked it on, then clicked it off again.

"What's wrong with you?" Scott asked."You've been playing with your phone the whole time."

"Huh? Oh sorry," Mitch blushed. "I'm just...distracted...I guess."

"By what?"

"I don't know," he looked out the window, pressing his lips together.

"Let's talk about something........school starts in a few weeks." Scott began. Mitch didn't respond, he just kept his head down.

"Okay so you don't like school," Scott mumbled,"Are you having fun with the musical?"

"Scott...I don't really feel like talking," Mitch said.

"Oh, okay......sorry."

"It's okay..."

Scott parked the car and got out."Come on, I'm coffee deprived."

"You can go in. I don't really feel like going in. Just get me a caramel macchiato," Mitch stated.

".......I kind of wanted to sit down with you." Scott looked down.

"Scott....I don't feel like going in," the smaller boy repeated.

"Oh, alright." He mumbled, getting out the car."I'll be back in a few minutes."

"Okay." Scott closed the door and walked inside of the popular cafe.

"Hi, welcome to Starbucks, what would you like?" The barista asked, blandly.

"Um, two Venti Caramel Macchiato's." Scott replied as he took his wallet out.

"That'll be $10.56 and someone to entertain me everyday at this job." The barista sighed and Scott handed him the money.

"Do you have any applications? I think I'm a pretty entertaining person." Scott smiled as the barista eyes went wide.

"You're kidding."

"No I'm not." The barista grabbed an application from under the counter.

"Here's your application and here's your drink. Have a nice day."

"You too." Scott said as he left the cafe. He walked back to the car to see Mitch fast asleep with his head leaning on the window. "Mitch..." he gently whispered.