тαкє rιѕкѕ

CHAPTER 13

[ Noah ]

    Holly was the most ecstatic that I had ever seen her. Ever since we walked into the auditorium when the bell for free period rang, she hasn't been able to stand still. Her excitement would most likely be attributed to the fact that she was really happy that I was auditioning for the play and also because she was running on three cups of coffee since she was up all night studying for our big World History test.

It had only been twenty minutes into auditions and with every passing second, I was internally freaking out. Presently, Greg was on stage, reciting his lines from perfect memory while I was standing backstage, growing anxious because I was up next. I wanted to bail, to throw in the towel right there and then, but Michael was sitting amongst the spectators just as he said he would. It would be stupid of me to have him miss soccer practice for me when I didn't even audition.

"Hey, you're gonna do great!" Holly reassured me as she grabbed my shoulders and spun me around to face her. "Just remember, project your voice so everyone can hear you. Sing like your life depends on it, which it kinda does, and have fun!"

I gulped down the lump rising in my throat. "Um, okay, but what maybe we should go over my lines one more—" Before I could finish my sentence, I heard the very few people who decided to show up to watch the auditions erupt in applause which was quickly followed by Mr. CJ's voice yelling, "Next!" I turned back to Holly, eyes wide with fear.

"Go!" she urged while simultaneously pushing me onto the stage.

I stumbled forward, nearly tripping over my feet, until I was at center-stage. Lifting my eyes to meet Mr.CJ and the audience behind him, I let go of a shaky breath and tried to speak in a calm and controlled voice. "Uh, I'm Noah Taylor and I'm auditioning for the Beast."

Mr. CJ grinned. "I'm glad you finally came to your senses, Noah." He grabbed a copy of the script from his assistant and flipped to the scene I was seconds away from reciting. "Whenever you're ready."

The auditorium became eerily silent when everyone ceased their side conversations and waited for me to start speaking. Out of habit, I glanced over at Holly who was standing behind the curtains with an eager smile on her face. Beside her, was Greg who contrasted her cherry expression with a mean scowl. Swallowing harshly, I brought my attention back to the audience, momentarily locking eyes with Michael. His lips stretched into a smile once he caught my gaze and be raised his hands to give me a thumbs-up.

That seemed to be the push I needed because shortly after, I straightened my posture and began to speak. "What are you doing here?" I said in a voice that was several octaves lower than my own. I tried my best to channel as much anger as I could in order to portray the emotions necessary for the scene, but It wasn't that hard to convey once I thought about what Poppa had told me on Saturday.

"I've come for my father. Please let him out! Can't you see he's sick?" Mr. CJ recited.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Then he shouldn't have trespassed here."

"But he could die. Please, I'll do anything!"

"There's nothing you could do," I snapped, my voice sharp and bitter. "He's my prisoner now."

"Oh, there must be a way I can ... wait! Take me, instead!"

I pulled my brows together, feigning confusion. I waited for a moment to respond, remembering when Holly mentioned that pauses added dramatic effect. "You..." I trailed off, letting my confusion get the best of me. "You would take his place?"