cσnғrσnт нιм

CHAPTER 23

[ Noah ]

Lunch was awkward. News of what had occurred between Greg and Mike this morning had spread to all corners of the student body. Before, people looked at me with pity when they thought that Mike was only using me for sex, but now they gave me crazed looks like I was the reason why two boys started to beat the crap out of each other; I guess, in some weird way, it was my fault.

"I heard Greg got suspended," Holly announced as she stuck a French fry into her mouth. "That means he can't be at any of the rehearsals, and Mr. CJ will probably have Jason take over as the beast. That sucks. I really wanted you to show him off—hey, what's wrong?" Holly's method of getting me to pay attention to her was to poke my face with one of her fries.

Finally gaining the strength to look her in the eye, I slumped forward in my seat and pushed this week's mystery meat across my plate. "Greg kissed me."

Her eyes widened at that very instant, showing the intense color of her jade green eyes. "What!" she whisper-yelled, as though she believed someone would hear us. After she double-checked our surroundings, she sunk into her chair and stared up at the ceiling in disbelief. "Oh my god—that explains everything!"

"No, it doesn't," I refuted. "It doesn't explain why he felt the need to bully me for God knows how long. Do you know how many times I've gone home crying because of him? Yeah, his mom is a horrible person, but just because he can't accept himself doesn't mean he should take it out on me. That's not fair."

Holly looked at me with her proud, motherly smile, which meant a hug was sure to follow. Sure enough, she stretched her arms wide enough to accompany my frame, and tightened them around my shoulders. "See, this is why you're my best friend. Who needs Greg, anyway? With his fat ego out of the way, all eyes will be on you when opening night comes. I'm so excited."

"I'm not doing the play anymore."

Her eyes widened to the size of saucers. "What!" she shrieked aloud, probably drawing the attention of the nearby tables. "Why not?"

"What's the point?" I questioned her, hoping she would see where I was coming from. "I auditioned because I didn't want to be at home to see my parents fight, but they're working things out now. I didn't even want to be in the play, especially not as Belle, so I'm gonna quit."

Holly folded her arms across her chest, and nodded. "I get it, Noah, I do ... but this could be something cool to put on your college applications. I mean, you don't really get involved in any school functions."

I shrugged. "I have good grades."

"Grades aren't everything nowadays. Colleges like to see well-rounded students, and I think this play can be the start of something cool. Who knows, maybe you'll like it? Maybe you'll do next year's musical and—"

"You're just saying all this because you want to do my makeup." I stole a fry from her lunch tray, popped it into her mouth, and gave her a condescending stare. I stood up from my seat and grabbed a hold of my tray, preparing to walk away, but Holly tugged on my arm. "I'll find other ways to get involved, Holly, I don't need this play," I reassured her.

She sighed. "Okay, fine, but don't say I didn't warn you. Holly always knows best."

"Holly can shut up before I give her the silent treatment," I retorted with a smug grin.