Chapter 14: The First Story

Chapter 14
PIPER'S POV

School continued normally, or as normally as a wizarding school with 17 demigods in it can go. We continued telling stories of our adventures, I heard stories of all of the adventures that Percy and Annabeth had gone on and stories of the second Titian war. I also heard stories of legendary pranks and special capture the flags, interspersed with stories of pretty ordinary days at camp. The rest of the seven and I also told our stories of heading to the ancient lands and how Percy almost ended it all with a nose bleed. For most of the time, the other just seemed to be happy reminiscing though occasionally they would flinch at some memories of those lost or of one specific person, Luke. Luke especially got to Annabeth and Thalia, whereas every death Percy seemed to blame himself for.
One evening during one of these conversations I realised that I had never heard the story of how Annabeth and Thalia had got to camp, I voiced my thoughts and Frank, Hazel, Jason and Leo all agreed. Annabeth and Thalia glanced around nervously before starting. "Well we all ran away from home," Thalia started, "Was there more than just you 2?" Leo fired at her, "Well... there was me, Annie and Luke." She paused as if waiting for a blow, "At first there was just me and Luke, we found each other and fought off monsters that came to us. How we met Annabeth is quite a long story but it all starts with a goat. We were following this goat which I thought was a sign from dad, across the country. We finally caught up to it outside this old abandoned house,  it turned out to be Halcyon Green's house. It seemed to be signalling us in there so we went in. The drapes attacked us and then we were lead to this room by some leucrota which are monsters that can imitate human voice. We met Halcyon Green. He was a demigod, son of Apollo, Zeus had taken his voice and forced him into this house as he had the gift of prophecy and kept telling people what was going to happen to them. We had only a certain amount of time before the leucrota would eat us. We started building a bomb making Greek fire. We finally did it but on,y just in time and Halcyon died. I had found aegis in the house and it took me a while but I finally figured out how to change it from bracelet form into shield and Luke had found a dagger. We spent a while wandering around the town on edge. We heard a rustling and spun around expecting it to be a monster. Out from underneath a pile of cardboard came a seven year old Annabeth armed with a hammer." She looked to Annabeth to go on. "I was terrified, I had run away from home and been targeted by monsters for ages. Luke grabbed the hammer out of my hand. He then picked me up and I started squirming and wriggling for the life of me, if Thals came anywhere near me I kicked her. She started to explain that she wasn't going to hurt me and that she was like me. I stopped fighting and introduced myself. Luke then gave me the dagger that he had found in the house as a proper weapon. Thals thought that this was stupid, I was only seven but Luke persuaded her. I stayed with them until I got to camp. We travelled a lot, going randomly until Grover found us he then took us to camp. He had only been sent to find Thals as she was a daughter of Zeus but he didn't want to split us up. We all travelled as a group but, being 3 demigods, one a child of the big three, we attracted a lot of monsters and Hades was trying to kill Thals as she was a breach in the pact made by the big three. He had sent most of his monsters to track us. We almost made it to camp despite this but back then there was no border. At the top of half blood hill Thals stopped and told us to race to the big house we did. She sacrificed herself to save us. But just before she died, Zeus took pity on her and turned her into a tree, subsequently creating the protective border." Everyone had been listening raptly whilst Annabeth was talking even those who had heard it before apart from Percy who had been sat there plaiting Annabeth's hair. The first to recover was Jason, "You were a pine tree?!" was all he said. Leo mumbled something along the lines of "Explains pinecone face." Before sitting giggling to himself. Finally Percy got annoyed with the silence and said "Well I think that's enough for tonight lets go to bed." Before getting up with Annabeth and walking off but before he could make it to the sanctuary of their room, Jason said "Fine but only if you tell us how she is a human and not a tree tomorrow." Percy carried on walking but I could see the slight shaking of his shoulders that either meant he was crying or laughing. I hoped it was the latter.

The next day all of us who hadn't heard the story before were buzzing and even some of those who had. Unfortunately this caught the wizard's attention and they asked what was so interesting. Of course Leo the idiot said, "She was a pine tree!" And pointed at Thalia before walking off completely confusing them all. They followed us, the girls now interested too. And even a girl who they seemed to be friends with called Luna who was in Ravenclaw came over. We didn't know what to say as to tell the story we would have to reveal who we were and we couldn't do that. Although it may help us to form the alliance if we become completely honest with them. I gestured to Reyna, Frank, Percy and Annabeth and they came over. I told them my idea and they agreed. We went up to Chiron and told him what we thought we should do. He agreed and we were going to tell them tonight at dinner. We told the witches and wizards that we would tell them at dinner and this seemed to satisfy them as it was almost time for our first lesson.