Chapter 19: Everyone Needs to Wait for the Combat Lesson

Chapter 19

HERMIONE'S POV

Just as I arrived at potions a rather substantial crowd was forming around something I couldn't see, as I was trying to establish what everyone was so interested in, Jason's head appear above everyone else's and he kept rising I could now see that he seemed to be flying which he had told us was one of his powers. When he settled on the ground once more there was a brief clamour for the others to show their power but they decided that now wasn't the right time and told us that they would show us at the next combat lesson.

Throughout potions there was mutterings about how all of the other demigods were going to show their powers and very few people were paying attention to Mr Brunner making it very hard to concentrate; at least it wasn't a double so we weren't meant to be brewing anything or it was likely that the class would have been a disaster. When the class was let out I was thrilled that I had arithmancy with Professor Vector who wouldn't tolerate any messing about. As this was a double it was my last lesson before lunch.

After a relatively calm class and everyone else having had 2 hours to gossip at lunch there was little else to say about the demigods' different powers so the conversation went on to different topics. After eating, as I still had half an hour before my next lesson, I managed to persuade Ron to come with me to the library to continue my research and Greek 'mythology'. I remembered a little from stories my parents used to read to me as a child but since discovering magic I had paid little attention to any other myths and I felt woefully overwhelmed. As soon as the demigods had revealed their true identity I had begun researching, I had immediately learnt some the basics like the 12 main gods and stories of some of the most famous heroes however, after this I was struggling to find any more information on the Greeks. It seemed that most witches and wizards had had the same approach as me to forget other beliefs when they discovered magic. Because of this I had sent an owl home to my parents requesting that if possible they could send me some more in depth books about Greek and Roman mythology but I had yet to hear a reply. Whilst I was waiting I was continuing to peruse the limited books in the library, I was also planning to ask Annabeth to tell me some of the stories when she had sometime and people stopped harassing her.

As the day continued I found myself becoming excited for the combat lesson to learn more about the powers of demigods which would help me with my research. Thankfully I didn't have long to wait as the lesson was tomorrow morning. The rest of the evening was relatively uneventful and most people went to bed early as they all wanted to go to the combat lesson tomorrow.

I woke up quite early due to an unpleasant dream and decided that I might as well go get breakfast so that I could eat at a leisurely pace unlike Ronald's ridiculous eating. When I reached the main hall it was almost empty due to the early hour but there was few other people including Percy and Annabeth who were both looking exhausted. As I sat down preparing to read the morning copy of the Daily Prophet I overheard the hushed whispers of Annabeth who seemed to be telling Percy about a nightmare, "...You didn't grab my hand and I was clinging on trying to get you to come down but you couldn't hear me," there was a gasping half sob "I was screaming and yelling but you wouldn't listen or couldn't hear, I don't know, and then when you finally turned the plank I held broke off and the last thing I saw was a desperate look on your face." At this Percy pulled Annabeth into a tight embrace and I tried to make myself look engrossed in an article about the new captain of the Holyhead Harpies, Gwenog Jones, despite the fact that it was unlikely that the pair were paying attention to anything outside their own little bubble. After about 15 minutes other students started to filter in a few at a time and I decided to help myself to a bowl of porridge, when Neville came in I became engrossed in a story of the work he was doing to help Professor Sprout to look after the greenhouses, I was really fascinating all of the different species that were kept in the school greenhouses which were out of bounds for most students. Neville then went on to discuss how he wanted to travel the world looking for exotic plants which were rumoured to have calming properties and reduce bad dreams with fewer side effects than dreamless sleep. By the end of his story almost the whole school was in the great hall and coming to the end of their breakfast, there was only about 5 minutes before the combat lesson was meant to begin.

I made my way with Neville to the room of requirement and came across a large huddle around the door, a few seconds after arriving Jason and Leo came to the door and let us all in. The layout of the room was different to before as they had planned the session to be a demonstration and there wasn't any practical training involved. Instead of a wide empty floor rows of chairs had been set out facing what appeared to be a small stage, to the side of this stood the rest of their group some of whom seemed a little nervous.

Once everyone was seated Jason stood up on the stage and cleared his throat, "Due to popular demand, instead of teaching combat, this week we are going to each demonstrate our powers. Before we begin I would just like to say that some of the powers are hard to show and they are quite subtle, we also may require some volunteers." At this he turned and winked and Piper who just responded by batting her eyelashes dramatically igniting a snigger in Leo. As Jason turned to leave the stage it he suddenly spun back and added, "Just to put this out there but it is unlikely that we will be able to get trough everyone today sows may also spend half of next weeks session finishing off or finish off some time before then if you want."