Brother

"Sans."

Grunt.

"Sans."

"Guhhh..."

"Sans, this is important!"

Sans slowly opened up a socket, only to be greeted by his brother's eager face filling his entire area of vision. He sighed.

"Papyrus, we've talked about this. I need to sleep on Sundays; they're my day off."

"I know, I know, but this is important!"

Sans sighed again, then sat up, resting his cheekbone on his fist as he looked at his brother. "All right, bro. Tell me what's up."

Papyrus jumped up to his full height, practically bouncing in place. "I've been talking to Undyne!"

Sans managed a tired, little smile. "I heard you've been following her for the past few weeks. Guess she's real spears-cial, huh?"

Papyrus' excited grin promptly dropped into an expression of annoyance. "Sans, this is serious."

"No, no, I know. I'm dyne to know wh—"

"Sans!"

Sans laughed. "All right, all right, I'm done. What's Undyne say?"

The excitement promptly returned; Sans half-expected Papyrus' neck to start stretching. "She says that, if I can make my own special attack, she'll—listen, listen!—she'll consider letting me do training to join the Royal Guard!"

Sans yawned. "Very cool. Glad you told me. I'm gonna sleep for a bit more."

"Wait, wait! I need your help!"

Sans opened his eyes again. "Huh?"

Papyrus rocked himself on the balls of his feet. "Well, I mean, you already know your special attacks. So I thought you could show me what to do. I can do normal bone attacks—I can even do some really cool ones!—but special attacks..." He gave a helpless shrug. "So maybe, since you don't have work...?"

Sans sighed and rubbed his forehead. The plan today was to go back to Gaster and work out more on these resets. Apparently he'd managed to get a few monsters who had the strange déjà vu feeling and were willing to look into it with them. They'd be coming tomorrow, so today was for researching and coming up with a clear game plan of how to proceed with the research. Not to mention that the Royal Guard was thelast place he wanted his baby brother to be. But...god, the way Papyrus was looking at him with those puppy-dog eyes (though how he managed to do that with no eyes was a mystery.) He shook his head.

"All right, here's the deal, Pap. I've got something I really need to do today. It's really important. But...but I shouldn't be out too late. So when I come back, I promise we can practice and start figuring out a special attack for you. Deal?"

Papyrus looked at his brother suspiciously. "Is this a normal promise or a real promise?"

Sans blinked. "What do you mean?"

"Well, because you always say 'I promise' and then it doesn't happen." He started ticking things off on his bony fingers. "You promised to explain what your job is, you promised you'd practice with me two weeks ago, you promised you'd watch Mettaton's Winter Spectavaganzabration with me...but then you don't."