Side-Effects

"Are you ready, Sans?"

Sans rocked back and forth onto the balls of his feet as he nodded. He was beyond ready; he was pumped. Gaster gave him a long, hard look.

"Now, remember...if you should feel, er, faint...or even nervous, then we do not..."

Sans smiled at the other skeleton, and he signed back, "We been doing this weeks. I be fine."

Gaster managed a weak smile and signed back, "Grammar, Sans. You have not been practicing." The smile died, and he shook his head as his hands whirred, "Regardless. Tell me and we will stop."

Sans gave him a grin, then set himself up to stand solidly, focusing on the wall on the other side of the lab. Gaster picked up his notepad.

"One end of the room to the other, then."

Sans focused hard on one tile on the other side of the room. His left eye glowed bright yellow as he felt the initial surge of power. With a rush of air, he was on the other side of the room, right on the tile he'd been looking at. As his eye faded back to normal, a bright grin spread on his face.

"See! See! It's like nothing now!" His eye glowed again, and he was over at the work table. "Want your tea? I'll get it." He grabbed the mug with a giddy laugh before teleporting back to Gaster's side. "Here you are. I could go get some Crab Apples from Gearson, too, I'll just pop over and—"

"Sans, stop." Gaster set the mug down to rub his forehead. "I understand that this is...that it is..." He grimaced, hand waving but unable to sign the word with his other hand occupied.

"Exciting? Amazing? Life-changing?" Sans hopped up on a nearby stool, grinning from ear-to-ear (metaphorically). "Gaster, I have it under control now! This means I can go anywhere in no time at all! I can teleport into work, I can be here, I-I..."

"Sans." The other skeleton's voice was uncharacteristically sharp, which shut Sans up. Gaster let out a huff and paced the short length of the table beside him. "I understand. I do. But you must think logically." He flipped through his notes. "This ability...I can only think that it comes from your body's instability after your reset. If this is the case, then shifting around like this may be damaging."

Sans shook his head. "But we've been testing this for weeks now, Gaster. I think we'd know by now if it were hurting me."

Gaster grunted, grabbing his mug and finishing the last dregs of his tea as he looked at the notes. "What about your innate powers? Have those been affected?"

Sans shifted in his seat. "Uh...kind of."

Gaster looked up, sockets wide. "Kind of? Why did you not tell me?"

"Well, I just found out about it. Here, throw something at me."

Gaster frowned, then threw his empty mug at the smaller skeleton. Sans' eye flashed blue as he caught it in the air, then flashed yellow as he teleported it to the other end of the room. He repeated this several times, moving the mug faster and faster around the room, until his eye nearly looked green from how quickly the light flashed in it. Eventually, he brought it back and let it drop into his hands. He gave a small smile as he handed it back to Gaster. "So, uh, it's not just myself I can teleport."

The scientist stared at him, sockets wide. "How...interesting," he finally said, looking down at the mug. "How did you find this out?"