don't forget

It turned out that skeletons could throw up.

Sans trembled as he wiped his mouth, looking around. How far back had he gotten? Was this his room in the Core or his room in Gaster's house? The light coming from the window was white—Gaster's, then. He'd gone back less than a week—much less than he had the last two times. But that was all he needed.

He pushed himself out of bed, barely avoiding the mess of magic and dust and...something red. What was--No. Didn't matter. Not now. He stumbled a bit as he shoved his feet into his slippers; the room was spinning, but there was no time to lose. If he was in a different timeline, that meant that there was a chance—maybe even a good chance?—that Gaster was still here. After all, he was still in the house, right? He took a breath and, with the familiar whoosh of air, was in Hotland.

Ohh.

That had been a bad idea.

Black edged into his vision, and he leaned against the lab door, taking deep breaths as another wave of nausea hit him. God, he really was in bad shape. Was this from the experiment or resetting? Was he about to melt like the others?

He shut his eyes and set his jaw as much as he could. Not now.

He pushed himself up, trying to keep himself from swaying, and banged his fist on the door. Gaster had to be in here. He'd open the door. He'd freak out and tell him to get back to bed. He'd worry about the reset. He'd—

The door hissed as it opened. Sans looked up with wide sockets.

Please.

"Sans?"

His shoulders slumped as Alphys poked her head out. She let out a gasp.

"Oh my god, you look awful. What h—?"

Sans waved his hands and shook his head. "Gaster," he said hoarsely. "Is Gaster in there?" Maybe he was down in the lower lab? There was still a ch—

"Erm...who?"

He blinked several times. No no no. He couldn't leave it there. There had to be a chance. He took a step forward.

"Gaster! W.D. Gaster! He's your boss, Alphys!" he shouted. She shrank back, eyes wide.

"S-Sans, I-I don't..."

Sans let out a frustrated grunt, and his voice was strained as he asked, "The Royal Scientist? The one who made the Core? Come on, Alphys, I know you know who I'm talking about!"

"I really do-do-don't!" Alphys looked as though she were about to cry. Sans took several breaths and rubbed his skull. Finally, he looked up at her. One last try.

"Then how do you know me, Alphys?" he asked, voice clipped but much quieter.

She had hidden her face behind her claws, and she peeked out at him, a strange, slightly blank look in her eyes.

"Erm...well...doesn't everyone?"

Somewhere deep in his center, Sans felt something crack. He took a few wheezing breaths. He'd really done it this time. He'd ruined everything. He shook his skull before pushing his way into the lab.

"Sans, wait! You can't—!"

"I know what's in the lower lab, Alphys! You...you and Gaster...we did an experiment down there! With Determination!" His head swam again as he walked inside. Everything was laid out differently. Where was the chalkboard? The tables? He stopped and held his head, swaying a bit. If he could just focus, he could find...he could...