Sorry

With the new revelation that monsters could reset, the researchers were all in a flurry to collect as much information as they could. Sans laid out everything he had done in the plainest terms he could, and he and the other seven researchers discussed the possibilities and results.

"So, like, I didn't feel anything when you reset," Ceris said, fiddling with her camera strap. "But I guess I wouldn't, right?"

"Come to think of it, that day did seem a little weird," Tephra added with a frown. "When we all met."

"Or you're just remembering it as weird," Wynn pointed out. "Because now you know that Sans reset."

"But it was like we all already knew each other!"

"Might have been my fault," Sans said with a shrug. "I mean, I did know all of you, and, uh, I wasn't that great at pretending I didn't."

Terrin glanced around, then leaned in to whisper, "Hey, Gaster isn't here, right?"

Sans shook his head. "He said there was an issue with the other experiment, the one he's doing with his assistant."

Her fins perked up. "So tell us what the differences are between the first timeline and this one."

Everyone leaned in expectantly, and Sans rubbed his top vertebrae. "Uh, well...I went to Grillby's with you guys a lot more?" He shrugged. "Other than that, it's really been the same. I didn't change anything drastic. I mean, there's the teleporting, but that's it. And I only went back about two months."

Terrin tapped her lips. "So...for us to really know what could happen, more than one of us needs to reset." She sat up straight. "And take notes of what happened!"

"But we can't do it all at once!" Ceris added. "Because, like, that will really screw up the timelines. But if we all do it, just once..."

"We'll have tons of data!" Wode, a small dinosaur, added brightly. Wynn frowned and shifted.

"But Gaster said we should only do it if it's a necessity," he said. Terrin grinned.

"So we don't tell him." She pointed at Sans. "And you don't tell him, either!"

"What?"

"We all know you guys talk all the time, but this time you need to keep quiet. Otherwise, there'll be no way for us to compare our experiences."

Sans grimaced. This...was not what he had planned for this discussion. But they did have a point. They needed more data. He huffed.

"All right, I'll keep quiet. But if anything goes wrong, we go stop and go straight to Gaster."

Terrin waved. "Fine, fine! We'll figure that out later. For now, we should make a schedule..."

~

Research continued over the next couple weeks. Every now and again, someone would show up with a bit of their tail missing or a little shorter than they were before, but always with a big smile on their face. Strangely, it seemed that only Sans and the other few who had reset could notice these things, though no one outside of the resetter could recall a reset actually happening. With Gaster out more and more frequently, either to the restricted Lab below or to Asgore, they were able to discuss the possibilities. Were those who reset more sensitive to these changes? Did messing with timelines put you outside of time? Soon enough, it was clear to Sans that it was time to let Gaster in on what was happening.