Determination

"Sans? Sans?"

Sans jolted awake, lifting his head from the papers around him. He looked up, blinking a bit.

"Oh, hey, Alphys. Is Gaster here?"

Alphys shook her head. "Um, no, but...that's the second time you've dozed off today. Did you sleep last night?

Sans rested his cheekbone on his hand. "Barely. I only got ten hours."

Alphys frowned. "That's 'barely'?"

"I'm joking. And anyway, I do my best thinking when I sleep. I'm completely ar-rest-ed with my hypotheses."

For once, Alphys didn't laugh. She merely looked at him for a moment, then returned to her work. Sans stretched before returning to his own equations. After a few minutes, though, she turned back to look at him again.

"Erm, can I...ask you something, Sans?"

"Alphys, I love you, but I'm not doing another Mew Mew Kissy Cutie marathon ever again."

"N-no...I just..." Alphys fiddled with her wrench. "Are you okay?"

Sans looked up in surprise. "What?"

"Are you okay? Like...physically?"

Sans looked at her for a moment, then sat back. Well, no, he wasn't. He'd been dead-tired (ha) since his second reset, but with Judging, training, patrolling, and just thinking, he was getting drained quicker than usual. Not to mention just how much...weaker he was; it was a lucky thing Undyne had started training with Papyrus, there was no doubt his brother would be able to take him out fairly easily at this point.

But he couldn't just say that. So instead he just winked and shrugged.

"All right, I'll be honest. I had a rough patrol last night."

Alphys leaned forward. "Really?"

"Yeah. We saw a rock that kind of looked like a human, so things were pretty exciting in Snowdin."

"Sans, I'm serious. I mean, I get not wanting to talk about problems but..." She sighed, fiddling with her wrench again. "Okay, look, don't tell him I said this, but...Gaster's worried about you."

"What?" Sans laughed in disbelief. "He's definitely not. Whenever he comes over here, he's all about the work."

"Well, he's not going to tell you. He doesn't do that." Alphys huffed. "I've worked with him for a long time, and so I can...kind of?...figure out when he's stressed out. Especially since I'm usually the one that's stressed out. A-and..." She shook her head with a sigh. "I-I know he'd rest a little easier if you got looked over. I-I could do it; we have a bunch of biology equipment in the lower lab from, erm, other experiments. And it won't be anything too bad! I built the machine myself, so I can promise that it's nothing too invasive."

"Heh, I'm not surprised." Sans took a breath, clicking his pen a few times. It probably was a good idea to find out what all was up with his body after the resets. And...it was kind of nice to hear that Gaster was worried about him. Maybe this timeline really was different. He set the pen down.

"All right, I'll come in tomorrow. One condition, though."

"What?"