Chapter 10: Obliviate

"Where is she?" Draco muttered to himself as he paced back and forth. The scene was all too familier. It was just like his first date with Hermione. Pacing back and forth, waiting for her to show up, and her showing up looking gorgeous. While he was lost in thought, Hermione had walked up the stairs of the Astronomy Tower. She was nervous, but she had to hold herself together. She couldnt afford to show weakness in front of her former boyfriend.

But yet, she still felt a twinge of hope. Maybe, just maybe, he would admit that he was wrong. Maybe he would say that he loved her. And maybe....maybe they would be together again.

Stop it. You're with Fred now. Push those thoughts out of your mind. Or at the very least, conceal them.

"Ahem." Hermione stood at the top of the steps, hands behind her back. Draco turned around, his face going through a set of emotions in a matter of seconds. Shock, happiness, regret, and then a mask of calm. "Look, Draco, I need to be somewhere, so can you just say what you have to say and let me leave?"

"Ah, yes. I will do that. Look, Hermione..." Draco paused, and rubbed the back of his neck with his hand anxiously. "These past few months that we've been apart, I've done some thinking. And, my conclusion is that...and this pains me to say it, but....I was wrong. I was wrong about keeping our relationship a secret. I was being selfish. I wanted to keep the relationship a secret because I was afraid my father would find out. If he found out I was dating a-" He was about to say "Mudblood", but decided against it. He didn't want to hurt Hermione more than he was going to. "-someone with muggles for parents, that he would disown me. But I don't care. I want to be with you. I don't care if I'm disowned and my father hates me. I want to be with you, Hermione. I fell in love with you like....like ketchup coming out of a bottle-slowly, and then all at once. I love you, Hermione Granger." While looking her in the eye, he took both of her hands.

"Draco, this is ridiculous. You need to let this go! I care about you, but I have moved on!" Hermione exclaimed, taking her hands out of Draco's hands and backing away, clearly upset. "I'm sorry, Draco....I can't take you back."

Draco listened to what she has to say, keeping a stony mask of calm, even though inside he was screaming at the top of his lungs. I honestly thought that she still loved me, he thought. I guess not. "Then you leave me no choice. These past few weeks, I have been working on a spell-a new one- that can completely change everything." He told her, being as calm as he could.

"Draco, listen to me, I have to g-"

"HERMIONE GRANGER YOU LISTEN TO ME RIGHT NOW!" Draco yelled, frustrated. "This spell, it can erase recent memories of a person, place, or thing."

Hermione looked at Draco, shocked at how he raised his voice. "This is crazy. You're crazy. Please, just...stop the madness." She pleaded, desperate for him to stop.

"Hermione, this is my only choice. I'm sorry. But before I perform the spell, there's something I need to do." He said softly, walking towards her, and after a bit of hesitation, kissed her. One last time. He felt her kissing back, and he smiled as he pulled away, then immediately became sad again. "I had to do that. One last time. Because I may never get to do that again, or speak to you like this again." Draco stepped back, at least 10 feet between him and the girl he loved. He raised his wand, and tried to keep it steady, because his hand was shaking.

When Hermione recovered from the kiss, she connected the pieces, and started silently crying. "Draco....please, you don't have to do this..."

"I have to do this!" He said in a shouted whisper. "If I don't, I'm going to regret it for the rest of my life." He sighed, voice shaking. "I love you, Hermione."

"Draco, please...."

"Obliviate Draco Malfoy minima." Draco said while in tears, watching the pink stream of light hit Hermione in the head. She immediately crumpled to the floor, unconscious. Draco walked over, kissed her forehead, and carried her until just outside the Gryffindor dormitories.

"Goodbye, Hermione."

The End