6

The next morning I woke up to a gentle kiss on my head and a voice buzz, "Happy Christmas, my darling Daisy."

"Hmmm?" I slowly opened my eyes and fixed them onto the image of Pol's bare face smiling down at me.

"It's Christmas my love."

I look around the room to see no signs of Ada anywhere.

"Where is Ada?" I say, my voice hoarse.

"She went to go visit Freddie and to bring him here for gifts and breakfast."

I nod and close my eyes, placing my hand on my throbbing head.

"Are you feeling any better?"

"Physically, yes. Mentally, no."

Pol looked at me dearly with pity growing in her eyes. She leaned down so our faces were now level and wrapped her warm hands around my body.

"I'm so sorry, my dear girl."

"You have no reasoning to be sorry, Aunt Pol. No one does." No one but me.

She smiles widely and lifts me, carefully from my bed. 

"The boys are downstairs with Finn and Esme, waiting by the fire. Ada should be home soon with Freddie. Why don't you put on a nightgown and we will join everyone. I know Finn is quite excited to open gifts from everybody."

I change into a lovely pink, satin nightgown and place some comfortable slippers on my freezing feet. Pol brushed my hair into a high ponytail and left it to rest, carelessly on my right shoulder.

My body hurt, but definitely not as atrocious as it had yesterday evening. The gashes and bruises were healing already. Quite rapidly as well. I was content.

I slowly stood up, my inner thighs aching, and made my way to the hallway, not daring to loosen my grip on Aunt Pol's arm.

We slowly, but efficiently made it down the stairs and into the lounge where everyone, including Ada and Freddie, sat looking wide eyed at the gifts. The fire was burning, leaving the smell of wood and pine throughout the cold air. From outside, I could see the trees blowing ever so slightly, brushing the freshly fallen snow off its dead arms. The Christmas tree was sparkling with paper mache hanging from the prickling branches as well as a few lit candles.

Dean looked up at me and smiled brightly. He ran over to me and hugged me tightly, but not tight enough to hurt me more than I already was.

"Happy Christmas, my wonderful sister." He whispered into my ear.

"The same to you." I laughed and smiled, not wanting to let go from the loving embrace of my brother.

Sadly, he let go of me and led me to where he was sitting next to Tommy. I sat down as Tommy gave me a warm smile and Dean sat on the arm of the sofa.

"Everyone's here, Aunt Pol. May I open my gifts now, eh?" Finn pleaded with beading eyes and a warm smile placed on his face. Though he was almost a grown man, he acted as though he were a small boy.

"Go ahead you impatient boy." Pol rolled her eyes and laughed, placing herself in her lounge chair.

I looked at Finn with a small smile upon my face, watching his eyes light up with excitement from every gift he opened. The joy that boy had was much greater than I ever had or even will have someday. He never ceases to amaze me with his upbringing and ecstatic spirit, even on his most troublesome days. I was enjoying watching him. But I hadn't dared to look at Ada. Not after last evening. It simply hurt too much. She was enjoying the company of Freddie anyways. I don't blame her though. If somebody loved me that much, I would never let them go. I'd spend all the time in the world with them. For they would  be my world. And maybe, just maybe, for once in my life I'd be as happy as Finn. But that'll never happen. And even if it did, I would never tell Ada what she said to me. I would not have the audacity and or courage. I would never be able to comprehend with the fact that I had hurt her so much and tore our friendship into bits and pieces. Though, who even knows if she cared as deeply for our relationship than I did. She is the one who is easily willing to throw it all away for some man whom impregnated her. Our friendship was greater than their love. But not anymore. Only my pain can out stand their lust. Pain is the strongest emotion, for it is impending.