9

Night had fallen and the house was quiet except for the silent whistles of the wind wrestling with the trees. I lay in my empty bed with a candle on my right side and the book Winesberg, Ohio resting in my hands.

It was quite late. Much later than I had usually stayed up until. I couldn't sleep though. I had too much racing through my mind to get any rest. My thoughts of Ada and her marriage tomorrow were prohibiting my slumber. Though, I was trying to get my mind away from her, I could not stop my thoughts. Whether it'd be reading or singing quietly to myself. I should not even have her on my mind truthfully. She shared her true feelings towards me. I should accept that and simply leave her be.

I was interrupted by small footsteps making their way towards bedroom door.

Quickly, I blew out the candle and shoved myself under the blankets, leaving my book at its marked page in my hands.

The door slowly creaked open and shut, as someone entered my room with a candle, letting off light.

The sounds of a chair faintly being dragged besides my bed created anxious beat rhythms in my heart.

I kept my eyes shut as the burning flame lit the room, tracing a shadow on the ceiling of the mysterious person.

A hand was placed gently on my waist, shaking me "awake".

"Hmmm?" I groan quietly and turn around to see Tommy's tiresome face glowing in the darkness.

"Ugh Tommy, get the hell out." I growl and turn back around, digging my face in the pillow.

"We need to talk." His husky voice echoes.

I sigh and sit up looking at him with cold eyes.

"We already talked earlier, if you've forgotten. What more could you possibly want? It's what, 3 in the morning? We most definitely do not need to talk."

As if he ignored what I just said, he spoke, "How the hell do you know Grace?"

"I fucking told you, Tommy. Esme and I were at the Garrison and the little bitch came up to us and went ballistic." I whisper-yell.

"She's not a fucking bitch. She's a loving and respectable woman." He said with a hint of indecisiveness, hidden, in his hoarse voice.

I glare at him in amusement.

"Even you know she is not so called 'loving and respectable'. Don't you dare deny it either. You know what she did with John just a few nights ago, yeah? You call that respectable?" I laugh slightly.

He face got even more enraged as he growled, "What the hell happened with John?"

"You don't know?! Esme or John didn't tell you, eh?"

Not saying anything, his light blue eyes stare at me impatiently awaiting the story.

"Well then, I guess it's time to tell you, eh," I say taken aback. "Well, a few nights ago, Esme and John were at the Garrison in that wee room you all have drinks in and such when you go there, and Grace walked in because well she had their drinks a-"

I was interrupted by Tommy's voice, "Well where was I during this?"

"I believe you and Arthur were meeting with Pol to talk business and London. You think I know, eh?" I say annoyed wanting to continue on with this dreadful story.

I sighed and continued on.

"Anyways, so Grace walked in, gave 'em their drinks and I guess she wouldn't leave. Esme kept trying to kick her out, but the brat wouldn't listen. John stayed silent and soon enough Grace was all up on him. Trying to snog him right there and then in front of his sullen wife. John piped up and told her to fuck off, but AGAIN, she wouldn't fucking listen. Esme got up and just starting attacking the bitch. The fight went on for a while, actually. Thirty minutes at the most, she said. John and some other lads at the pub tried to pull 'em away from each other, but no one could stop them. I mean, these girls were going at it vigorously. Shit. I wish I could've seen it, truly. But yeah. That's the story. Guess your sweet little girlfriend isn't so sweet, yeah?"

He looked full of confusion, anger, and misery. He eyes traveled to the floor and his fists became tightly clenched, his knuckles now white.

"Hate to break it to you, but that's not all the men she's been trying to get with, Tommy. Just today, there was a table of about 3 or 4 men at the pub. She was sitting on their laps. Letting them touch her and kiss her. You're not the only one I'm afraid." I confess.

Silence.

He stared at me with cold eyes, sending shivers racing down my spine.

"I'm surprised, Tommy. I really am surprised. I've known you for all my life and I know who you find interest in. And that is the complete opposite of the whore you're with now. You're so much better than that. You're a successful man, in a very lucrative gang, with a supportive family whom loves you dearly. Why throw that all away for some grime of woman who is presumably in this for the money. You really need to find someone who loves you for you and not for what you have. And you need to do the same." I say suddenly becoming less tense.

Tommy's eyes soften as he looks at me almost desperately.

"I love you, Daisy." He said.

I look at him with shock and disorientation.

I chuckled nervously, "Pardon me."

"I love you and I always have.

And with that...

He kissed me.