15

I woke up.

But I wish I hadn't.

My eyelids slowly opened and closed as my fingers dug into the smooth, silk sheets of my serene bed. My head was pounding. My legs lay stiff in front of me.

It was quiet. Too quiet.

My eyes fluttered fully open and fixated themselves on the large clock above my fireplace, which was dark. There were no signs of energy or sounds of crackling wood burning like usual. It was black and cold.

I turned my body against the wall, as I was now facing the empty side of my large bed. The side in which many bodies once held. Ada, Pol, Dean... Tommy.

My breath hitched as tears suffused my swollen, crimson eyes.

I bit my lip to stop the tears from falling, but they had become too overpowering. They begun to fall, drop, by drop.

I dug my head into the nearest pillow and screamed, letting out a muffled, distressed noise.

The sound of my door creaking open silenced me.

"Daisy..." A muffled yet familiar voice rang in my ears.

I didn't bother moving my head from the pillow, but instead allowed my body to move up and down to match my heavy breathing.

The door closed as the empty side of my bed caved in with the weight of a body.

My head was lifted as well as my body and was now being embraced by two large arms.

Scorching tears traveled down my rouge cheeks and the smell of cigars and liquor comforted my nose.

I opened my eyes letting them put together the picture of Arthur looking at me with lax vision.

The tears halted as we both stared at each other as if somewhat communicating through glances.

His arms tightened around me as I gently burrowed my head into his chest.

I could hear his heart beat. It was slow. Like a bass drum. It carried a melody. I'm not sure what, but it was music to my ears. It calmed me.

"Who was it, Daisy?" He whispered against my hair.

My face wilted and my eyes were squinted as I struggled to hold back the tears.

I knew I wasn't going to be able to keep this inside of me. I was compelled to tell someone. And Arthur was that someone. He was the one person that I could actually trust.

"It was Alfie..." I murmured.

It was silent. He didn't speak. It seemed as if he wasn't even breathing.

"Why'd you do it, Daisy?"

I was hesitant.

"I wanted to feel something. Something other than what I am feeling. There is so much pain, Arthur. It hurts. I'm too young to feel this broken. I've spent my whole life being used. Being taken advantage of. My body has more scars than I have memories. Everything that occurred seems illusory, yet I can feel the agony. I never knew what love felt like. I never thought I would know what it felt like. I was seeking more than lust. I just needed to feel. For once."

"I love you."

"I love you too, Arthur." I moved my head back onto my pillow as Arthur leaned slightly over me. I faintly smiled and gazed up at him.

"No, Daisy. I love you."

In that moment, I was lost for words. My breathing had stopped as well as my heart. My smile faded and my eyes glued their stare to his face.

"Wh-what?" I stuttered as my head began to shake.

"Daisy Murphy, I love you. I have since the day I laid my eyes on you."

"Arthur, you don't have to say that because you feel bad for me or something. Please don't pity me, Arthur. I-"

"I'm not just 'saying' that. I've never cared for a woman, let alone a human being, as much as I have for you. All those days I spent working at the company with Tommy and your brother, it was for you. I was willing to work and put my life on the line because I knew it would make you proud. When I wake up in the morning, despite the pain of it, it is for you. Everything I do... it's for you. I live for you, Daisy."

My breath hitched and my eyelashes fluttered.

His body moved over mine as our eyes met.

I didn't need to look deep into his eyes this time to understand what he was feeling. Everything he felt lay gently ashore the surface. He looked at me with love. The way every girl adored to be looked at. Wanted to be looked at...

"I love you, Daisy."

He lowered himself onto me allowing his hand to cup my face and gently caress my lips with his thumb.

His body was calm. His eyes were glowing.

He was in love with me.

~~~

I am so sorry this is so short, my loves! I'm quite busy juggling school and midterms!

Please, please, PLEASE comment suggestions for the upcoming chapters. I would love hear your input and ideas for the story. All I strive for is to make you all happy and your opinions would help me reach that goal! If you'd like, you can contact me via Wattpad or Instagram (m.m.stories)! I will surely consider ANY suggestions!

Thank you all so much for being so supportive!

I love you all!

XOXO

-M.M.