10

I woke up to a quiet shuffling sound besides me.

My tired eyes slowly made their way open as I picked the crust with vexation from the corners. I groaned and tried to sit up, but felt myself being pulled back down.

I froze and gulped, no longer feeling fatigued, but notably attentive. Without moving greatly or making too much sound, I shifted my head and looked over my shoulder.

I sat paralyzed at the sight of Tommy lying next to me, completely nude with his arm wrapped securely around my also nude waist.

My head quickly flicked back to it's past position. I placed one hand over my mouth and the other on my shoulder, clawing at it in fear.

Quickly yet faintly, I flung out of my bed and grabbed a blanket sprawled on the wooden floors, keeping my eyes on sleeping Tommy.

Placing the blanket around my cold body, I ran out my bedroom door and down the stairs calling out to Pol, knowing that around this time she would be awake and making tea and such.

"Aunt Pol! Help! Polly, oh my ple-"

As I reached the bottom of the stairs, I met eyes with the one and only Alfie Solomons whom was standing next to a stunned Pol.

Stopping my rapid movement, I cursed under my breath as he smirked at me.

"Why hello, Ms. Murphy. I didn't know this was your place of residence. You are looking quite well this lovely morning, eh?"

"Alfie... why, uh thank you..." I cleared my throat, breathing heavily.

"Daisy, I see you have met Mr. Solomons. Why, well, he just stopped by looking for Tommy. Have you seen him around the house anywhere." Pol asked, hiding her embarrassment and acrimony from my bareness.

"I'm afraid I have not, Aunt Pol. Uh, is there any possible chance I can talk to you briefly in the kitchen?" I ask out of breath.

"Mr. Solomons, if you will please excuse us. There are cigarettes and some whiskey on the small table just next to the staircase. Please. Help yourself." Pol points and grabs my arm.

We rushed into the kitchen and Pol closed the curtain.

Just as her face was to grow with fury, I spilled out puddles of uncontrollable tears. Pols face softened and she grasped me in her affectionate embrace.

"Daisy dear, what is it? Shhhh..." She hushed me.

"Oh, Aunt Pol. I've done something absolutely awful. I don't even know how it happened. It did though and I am petrified. Oh, Polly help me." I sob feeling pain wash over me like a wave crashing onto the shore.

"Daisy, Daisy. Sit down and tell me what happened."

I placed myself in a chair as Pol grabbed two cups pouring freshly brewed black tea into them. Placing the cup in my hand, she sat down in front of me and wiped my tears with a flick of her thumb against my cold skin.

"Tell me, darling." She stroked my hair which started calming me down. I took deep breaths and looked into her pitiful eyes. I bit my lip and squeezed my eyes shut, quickly opening them afterwards.

"I slept with Tommy last night."

Pol looked at me shocked and confused, but continued to brush my hair out of my face with her gentle fingertips.

"How?"

"Oh Pol, I don't even know. All I remember is that last night, Tommy came into my room and pulled up a chair to my bedside. I awoke me and spoke to me about his barmaid lover and I told him that he was with the wrong girl. That she was using him. Then, all of a sudden, he was kissing me. That's all I can remember. I don't know what happened. I'm so scared. He is so much older than me and he has a lover. I woke up and he was just laying there soundlessly asleep with his arm around me. We were both nude. I just, I... I don't know."

I dropped my head into my hands and continued on with my loud wailing.

"My dear Daisy. You know I love you more than anything in the world. I understand you don't know how it happened. Trust me, I know how you feel. I was your age once. I've had the same things happen believe it or not. That's how I found out I was carrying... Michael... oh dear lord, Daisy. Did he use protection?" Pol's eyes widened and I shot my head up.

"Oh, I don't remember! Great! First, I obliviously sleep with a man whom is basically a brother to me, or so I thought, and now I may be pregnant with his child. JUST WONDERFUL!" I yell and cry.

I could hear footsteps coming from the stairs and groans.

The curtain was pulled open to the sight of John, Arthur, Finn, Esme, Alfie, and of course, Tommy, all looking quite tired yet worried. I made eye contact with Esme and she frowned.

"Leave me alone, please." I sigh putting my head down.

"Go away, boys." Esme yelled while stepping in and shutting the curtains behind her.

Esme stood and waited for the sounds of footsteps becoming distant, but it stayed silent. She once again opened the curtains to the boys still standing there.

"Fuck off!!!" She finally screamed. They all scurried upstairs, even Alfie who seemed frightened by Esme's tone.

Esme kneeled down besides me and stroke my arm.

"What's wrong, love?"

"Oh, Pol. You tell her please..." I cried silently.

"She slept with Tommy last night and doesn't think he used any protection."

"Esme, it's horrible. Last night he just came into my room and kissed me. I woke up this morning and he was in my bed, naked with his arm around me. I don't remember anything."

"Oh, Daisy, love." She hugged my tightly as I placed my head on her shoulder.

"Well, maybe we should go visit a doctor. We can have him check to see if you are with child and if you are you, I know a man that specializes in exterminations." Pol whispers rubbing my thigh.

"Will they be able to detect this early on. I mean, it happened just last night. Not even a full 24 hours, yeah." Esme questioned.

I was disabled with pain and fear. I was confused and dazed. I just need sleep. Without Tommy, this time.

"You're right. Well, I guess we will have to wait a little find out then. We will leave three weeks on Friday around noon while the men are working and we will see what, if anything, the doctor can pick up. Afterwards, the three of us can get something to drink or some dessert to lift you spirits, love." Aunt Pol looked at me with kind eyes.

I nodded and Esme smiled reassuringly.

"It will be alright, Daisy. It will be alright."

Little did I know, it wasn't.