Chapter Fifteen: Decisions

Tears slipped down my face as I hugged Aunt Kara tightly. I can't believe I'd forgotten her. I used to love it when she came to visit but one day she just stopped, and I never knew why. I let go and saw that she was crying as well.

"Excuse me, Avery, would you see the rest of these young shifters too the rooms in which they'll be staying for the night? I'd like to speak to my niece alone for a bit." Aunt Kara ordered her guard politely. The guard nodded and gestured for the others to follow. Dylas looked a bit uneasy at leaving me first but I gave him a look to reassure him that I would be okay. Once they left Aunt Kara turned back to me. "So, tell me what's been going on in your life, it's been so long since I last seen you. You know, like besides the whole war thing. You've joined a pack I've noticed,
I never expected your parents to do that, they never went in for that kind of thing, but then neither did I until I met my mate, he's the other Alpha of this pack but he's out at moment. So what made your parents want to join? Or is it just temporary because of the war, and why not join my pack I mean they knew I was in one." Aunt Kara rambled on and on. I stopped paying attention though. My parents. I guess no one told her. No one told her they died.

"Actually.." I broke in quietly. Aunt Kara stopped and looked at me. There must have been something in her voice because she got a little pale.

"What is it? What's wrong." She asked staring at me.

"My parents are dead." I managed to choke out before tears began to fall from my eyes once again.

"No..." Aunt Kara backed up. "No, no, no, not my sister, and your father? But how?" She asked in shock. She sat down and tears began to stream down her cheeks but she wiped them away. She stood shakily to her feet and gave me another hug. "I'm sorry." She whispered. "When? How?" She asked. "If it's not too much for you."

"It's okay." I shook my head. "I can talk about it." I sat down on a chair across from aunt Kara, who sat down as well. "It was a few months ago. There was an accident out on the ice. Only I made it." I paused for a second. "Before she died mom told me to seek out a pack. She didn't want me to be alone. Though I wasn't too sure on the whole thing I did it for mom. That's how I ended up in the white valley pack." I finished Aunt Kara was quiet for a bit.

"That's just like your mother." She smiled. "Even as kids she never thought anyone should be alone. She might not have believed in joining a pack but she never wanted people to live alone even if we are bears. The day I met Jackson was the best day of my life and your mother was so happy for me, even though it met I'd have to join a pack, she was supportive." I smiled and wiped away my tears.

"That sounds like mom." I sniffed. "I didn't know you were part of a pack." I changed the subject. "Let alone the Alpha of one."

"Yeah, I told your mom to wait tell you were old enough to make your own decision about joining a pack to tell you. I didn't want to influence your decision in anyway." Aunt Kara told me. She paused for a second. "Listen.." She began. "I was just thinking.. How would you like to join the Half Moon pack?" She asked hopefully. I stared at her in shock.

"I- I can't." I stuttered. "Dylas, my friends. I can't leave them. This is an all bear pack and Dylas is my mate."

"I can talk to Jackson. I'm sure we can accept one member who is not a bear snifter." Aunt Kara suggested. I hesitated and then shook my head again.

"Dylas is next in line for Alpha. There's no way he'd leave the pack, and I can't either." I enforced my decision.

"Doesn't he have any siblings who can take over instead of him?" Aunt Kara asked desperately. I nodded.

"He does have a sister."

"Perfect." Aunt Kara perked up. "Go back to your room and think about my offer then. You can let me know before you leave in the morning." She gestured to the other guard to lead me to my room. I followed the guard out the door and down the hall. After about a five minute walk she showed me to a door and I opened it and walked in. There were two beds in there. Dylas sat on one and Amber and Theo on the other.

"Iris!" Dylas said standing up. "How was your talk with your aunt." I faked a smile.

"It was a nice reunion." I didn't want to tell him about her offer yet. Not until I'd thought it through myself. That and having to tell her about my parents, the reunion could have gone a lot better. He gave me a funny look and tilted his head to the side. He knew something wasn't right but he didn't say anything. Amber and Theo sat quietly on the bed but I knew they had noticed too.

"Wanna watch a movie before we go to bed?" I suggested pointing to the large flat screen in the corner of the room. Dylas hesitated but then nodded.

We ended up all watching The Lion King. I leaned into Dylas and thought about Aunt Karas offer. She was my aunt, the only actually related family I had left. But still, that didn't matter. Family was more then just blood relatives. No matter how much I considered the offer I still could not accept it. I sighed and snuggled closer to Dylas. I'm sorry Aunt Kara but I just can't accept her offer. I was happy exactly where I was. I'd stay with my pack, I'd fight for my pack, I'd die for my pack. We'd win this war together. I just knew it. I closed my eyes and soon I was asleep.