Chapter Twenty Four

Living Royal

Chapter Twenty Four

Bella stood frozen staring at Edward as he stared at the woman standing across the room.

Who the hell was Irina?

She was dying to ask that question but was too afraid to know the answer.

“Bella? Are you okay?”

Alice, God keep her, straight to the rescue.

“Um, yeah. I just need to use the restroom. Show me where it is?” Alice nodded slowly looking extremely confused. She led Bella through a hallway to where the bathroom was. They left Edward standing where he was, still frozen in place.

“Okay, what’s going on here? You’ve been here before, Bella. You know where the bathroom is.” Alice wondered.

Bella just pulled her inside the bathroom and shut the door behind them.

“I know,” She sighed. “I just needed to get out of there for a second.”

“Why? What happened? Did you and Edward fight or something?”

“No. Not yet, anyway.” Bella muttered dismally.

“What is it then? You guys looked really happy when you walked in, what happened since then?”

Irina happened.” Bella muttered again scornfully.

“Irina Volturi?”

Bella’s head snapped towards Alice in surprise. “You know her?”

Alice snorted, “Who doesn’t? Besides, this is my party. I know everyone here.”

“Who is she?” Bella asked impatiently, wanting Alice to get to the point already.

“She’s the heiress to the Volturi fortune. Don’t tell me you’ve never heard of Irina or the Volturi’s?”

Bella shook her head, “Obviously not, Alice. Get to the point.” She’d never heard of anyone with the name Irina before.

What kind of name was Irina anyway? She thought bitterly.

“Okay okay. Well, you know that Jazz’s family is a big deal in the royal court, right? They’re very rich and powerful and very close to many of the British nobles.” Bella nodded. She knew most of that before. She was always surprised that Jasper was so down to earth, coming from such a rich family, but after meeting Edward all of her preconceived notions have been shot to hell.

“The Volturi’s and the Hales are very close. So Jasper and Irina practically grew up together, he never liked her though. He says that her family are a bunch of snobs that do nothing but take advantage of heir connections to make more connections. But Jasper still has to act nice to them for his parent’s sake. We bumped into Irina a couple days ago and she said that she was staying in town for a few weeks, so we had to invite her. I’m so sorry, Bella. If I knew that she would cause any trouble for you, I would’ve made Jasper…”

“It’s alright, Alice.” Bella interrupted her. “It wasn’t your fault. Actually I’m not sure what is going on exactly.”

“If you’re not sure, then what are you doing in here instead of out here enjoying the party?”

“If you’d seen the look on Edward’s face when he saw her you would’ve understood why I needed a few minutes to regroup before I head out there and rip her fake hair extensions right off.” Bella hissed.

“Ooh, feisty Bella.” Alice teased her. “But shouldn’t you just ask Edward about her instead of sitting here freaking out?”

“I’m not freaking out!” Bella almost yelled.