Chapter Thirteen

Regina hesitantly unclipped her holster and removed her gun, placing it down on the middle of her desk before taking a seat in the hard chair. She remained as relaxed and calm as she could manage, but her thoughts were raging in her head and she wondered just what the hell Gold was doing in her office and why she was requested to remove her gun. Was he going to fire her? Was he there to threaten her? Or worse?

Regina quickly scanned over her desk to make sure that any evidence of her own investigation into the former sheriff's death and Gold hadn't been left out in the open. She had been thoroughly careful not to leave anything out in the open and most of the documents were in her house. The papers she did have regarding her own investigation were locked in her desk and she was the only one who had the key.

"What can I do for you, Mayor Gold?" Regina asked him again and he pressed his lips together tightly and folded his hands on top of her desk. "May I ask why I had to remove my gun, sir?"

"A precaution," he said listlessly. "You did shoot my son."

"I had no other choice."

"Hmm," he sighed. "I suppose not, Sheriff, but I am not taking any chances. You are rather hotheaded, aren't you, Sheriff? There's no denying that you've got passion and you are driven, which is one of the many reasons that I chose you to be our new sheriff. You are too quick to point and shoot, which is cause for concern."

"Sir—"

"Never mind that, I am not here because of Bobby," Gold continued. "I am here because I have a proposition for you, Sheriff Mills."

"A proposition?"

Gold nodded his head. Regina definitely didn't like the sound of it and he hadn't even told her what it was. The man there with him, Killian Jones, just leered at her as he stood beside Gold with his hands folded in front of him. She eyed him carefully and noticed the small gun he had in a holster and clipped to his right hip, partially hidden by his leather jacket. She swallowed hard and leaned back in the chair.

Regina swallowed and remained at ease. "What is your proposition, Mayor Gold?"

"It has recently come to my attention that the FBI has been conducting an investigation," Gold said and Regina nodded, her face stoic. "Do you know what they are investigating, Sheriff Mills?"

"No, sir."

"Me," he chuckled bitterly. "With that being said, I need you to make sure these two FBI agents do not step foot into this town, Sheriff. By all means necessary."

"I don't understand—"

"He's asking you to play dirty cop, luv," the man standing at his side drawled. "And I'll be the one that makes sure you do just that."

"Don't call me that," Regina said through clenched teeth and she looked back down at Gold. "Why are they investigating you and why do I have to keep them from coming into Storybrooke?"

"That," he said as he sucked in a breath, "is not of your concern, Sheriff. You may be contacted by one of the agents and I strongly suggest you find a way to keep them from putting their noses where they do not belong."

"How do you propose I do that, Gold?" Regina asked. "If the FBI is conducting an investigation involving you, don't you think it'd be best to prove you have not broken the law?"

"Use your imagination, Sheriff," he said sharply. "And I think perhaps you may be pleasantly surprised what they have against me. I also strongly suggest that you refrain from sticking your nose where it doesn't belong either. Do we have an understanding, Regina?"