Prologue

"I don't think there is any question there are other victims in similar situations. We are only catching the dumb ones."

- Professor Sherry Hamby of the University of the South in Tennessee, on the Ariel Castro Kidnappings.

===============================

Far away and not necessarily in the present, an old man entered a dimly lit study to find a much younger man reading alone.

"Silviu." he interrupted. "I bring bad news. Your father is dead."

"Good." Silviu replied without looking up from his book. "Anything else, Marius?"

"Yes, there is news on another matter." he cleared his throat and braced himself. "You-know-who has finally done it...he's managed to escape and disappear."

The previously unfazed 25-year-old was now alert and out of his chair. He had mere moments to decide whether or not to run.

"How much time do we have?" he asked Marius, who stayed silent.

It was already too late. Footsteps were heard from behind the door, and seconds later, the room filled with men packing heat.

Silviu looked at Marius, who did not seem surprised by the visitors.

"Traitor." he spat at him.

"It's better this way." Marius replied. "The families have decided to keep your estate in tact so you can pay off your debts. You are now patriarch of your family."

They own me now, he thought.

"Thank you, Marius." he said, sarcastically. "It's good to finally know who's been feeding information to our enemies."

"I'm only doing what I think is best for the community, young master." Marius replied. "Your family has been weak, ever since..."

He didn't have a chance to finish, as Silviu's blade took him down quickly. Blood pooled around him, seeping into the carpet. The stunned men raised their weapons.

"Don't worry gentlemen." Silviu said, with his hands up. "I only had one knife--and well--he has it."

He walked over to Marius, now dying on the floor, his chest bleeding profusely. The old man's breathing was heavy as he struggled to say something. Silviu knelt beside him to hear.

Before his eyes went blank and his body limp, he uttered his final words:

"She's alive."