Chapter Thirteen

It's Christmas morning, Arnold was sitting on the bed alone. Last night they had fought to decide who should sleep on the bed. Of course as a man, he won't let her sleep on the floor or the couch. Like hell he would let that happened. After arguing for nearly five hours, they finally settled with sharing the bed together. Though, she slept as far away as possible from him, he was even afraid she would fall off the bed. He had thought she would sleep more since she was very tired yesterday, but looked like she was still able to rise early.

He took quick shower and immediately went down stair. He found Erica in the kitchen alone by herself. She heard his foot steps when he entered the kitchen.

"Hey, Good morning!" She greeted him over her shoulder.

"Morning!" he replied from the door. "Merry Christmas!" he said as he entered.

"Merry Christmas!" she answered him with a lot more excitement.

As she went back to her chore, he approached her casually. She was hyper aware when he was about to pass behind her, but all of a sudden he hugged her. That took her by surprise and she squealed. Arnold laughed and she covered her face in embarrassment, because she had never let out that kind of voice.

"Is this okay?" He asked after his laugh died down and she went back to wash the apples, though he still back hugged her and she was trying her hardest to remain calm despite her pounding heart, "Are you comfortable with this?" He put his chin on her head.

"It's okay!" She continued washing the apples.

"Now, I just realize, we always have apples back at home, right? Do you love apple that much?"

"Yeah, I do. What's your favorite fruit?"

"I bet you already know."

"Maybe, but most of the things I know about you are second hand information which I got from Grandma. It would be an absolute if I hear it from you directly."

"It's raspberry."

"Oh!"

He tilted his head to look at her face, "You do know, right? Most of the desserts you made for me have raspberry in them."

She turned her head to face him, she kept their eye contact though she was blushing, "Grandma said you used to demand everything in raspberry since you were a child. And you usually ordered cakes with raspberry in them. So it's not that hard to figure out." She turned away once she finished her words.

"What are you making?"

"I am making some toast and pancakes, I will also bake these apples."

"Do you need my help? Let me cut these apples for you." He let her go to take a knife and chopping block, and started to cut the apples in to pieces.

"What time the other usually woke up today?" She finished washing those apples and started preparing the breads.

"Around eleven. But, Alice would sleep longer."

"How about you? Did you used to wake up this early at Christmas morning?"

"No. I used to be just the same like the other."

She had disbelieving face, "Then, why did you?"

"Because there is certain someone who put me in the habit of early riser for months now. So, even if I want to sleep much longer, my body is kind of rebel against my will." He smirked.

She was clueless about how to react, clearly he was teasing her. What should she do or said, laughed it off, said sorry, or just kept silent.

He chuckled, then noticed she was wearing the necklace. Maybe it was a good thing to make her focus on him then the necklace. He just couldn't bear it when she was sad or in pain.

"I am sorry!"

"Hah?"

"I never intended to make it become your habit. You don't have to eat breakfast with me if you don't want to." She sounded sad.

Arnold immediately let go everything in his hands and grabbed Erica's hand. He turned her body to face hin and hold her eyes captivated, "I am just teasing, not complaining. On the other hand, I am glad we are able to have breakfast together every morning."

She grinned, "Just kidding!"

He was dumbfounded for two second before busted out laughing, "You got me there!"

"What's funny so early in the morning?" Martha's voice surprised both of them.

They stared at each other before replied in unison, "Nothing!"

"Huh? Not telling?" she paused, "Is it you inside joke? Fine, It's okay. A couple are ought to have that! What are you two doing this early?"

"It's already passed ten, Mum! It isn't early anymore!"

"Whatever!" She brushed him off and opened the refrigerator to grab a bottle of milk.

"Merry Christmas, Mum!" Erica greeted her cheerfully, while she was drinking the milk from a glass Arnold had given to her.

"Merry Christmas, Erica, Arnold!" She hugged both of them one by one.

"Merry Christmas, Mum!" Arnold said when she hugged him.

She pulled away and smiled at him, she felt really happy he was finally starting to open up himself again after so many years.

"I will take a shower and help you later!"

"It's okay!" Both of them said in unison. "We got this."

Martha stopped on her track, "Did you guys try to chase me away? Fine, I won't become yours third wheel. Enjoy your time." She waved at them, but she popped in her head at the door after they thought she had gone straight up stair, "Oh, right, don't do anything weird in here! Otherwise, I won't be able to cook here anymore!" she grinned.

"MUM!" Arnold shouted.

"Hahahaha, I will leave you two love birds alone now!" She only showed her waving hand.

"Geez!" He face-palmed himself and sighed. When he took a look at Erica, she was holding both of her cheeks and her ear was red. "Are you okay?" he grabbed one of her hand to pull it away from her face. He realized her face was red to her ears. He reached out to touch her face, but she backed off immediately, which caused a sting in his chest.

"I want to go to the washroom. Please continue by yourself, I will be back shortly!" She left him in the kitchen.

He watched her all the way. When she was gone, he grabbed his shirt on the chest. What is this?

######

Author's Note!!!

This is totally irrelevant with this story. But I want to share it with you guys.

I read a manga recently, Kimi Ni Todoke (From You to Me), a sweet yet sour story that make me crying along with the characters even when they weren't crying. One thing I learnt from it is when you had done something that you regretted, regret it and learn from this experience. It made me become gloomy for two days while reading it, but the roller coaster feeling are great.

I know this chapter was short, but I just felt like I want to end it here. Please look forward for next chapter. It would be a while, since I haven't even started a sentence yet.