Chapter Eighteen

Arnold felt a woman was hugging him from behind. From how his heart was beating so fast, he knew she was Erica. The second he thought to turn around, he heard a sound that shocked him to the core.

BANG!

The sound of a gun shot shocked everyone around. People immediately screamed in surprise, some squatted down with fear while other were running away. The man in black joined the crowd and ran away. A bunch of security crews ran out from the building and started looking for the culprit, but of course they we're already missed the chance since he had ran away. Because of that, they focused on calming down the people, instead.

During the chaos, Arnold paid no attention to the crowd, he immediately pulled Erica in to his embrace. His attention was fully on her. His heart was beating so fast, it just felt like something really bad had happened, like he was losing her, "Are you all right, Erica?" He asked her anxiously because she looked pale. He thought she was frightened.

Erica felt like her consciousness was drifting off, but she tried her hardest to stay strong and smiled at him,  "I am fine!"

But at the next moment, she passed out. Arnold was caught of guard and almost let her drop to the ground, but he immediately picked her up to his arms, he touched something wet on her shoulder, when he took a look at his hand, it was dyed in blood.

"Jeff, call ambulance! No, bring the car here, we are heading to the hospital! NOW!" He shouted to his driver, Jeff.

"Yes, Boss!" Jeff immediately sprinted to the car and drove it over to the front of the company.

People already noticed the situation  the moment Arnold shouted. The target was a Binder. The one that got shot was the newest addition member, Arnold Binder's wife, Erica Ferguston Binder, owner of cafes around the city.

The company's employees were all worried about the boss' wife. She showed nothing but kindness to them and they also felt the pain Arnold was experiencing. They helped to calm the people and cleared the way for Jeff. Some even went through the trouble to check on the traffic and told him the fastest route while avoiding the traffic jam. Everyone wanted Erica to arrive at hospital as fast as possible.

"Erica, hanging there!" Arnold whispered in Erica's ear while he brought her in to the car. Jeff sped up, but also try to drive as gentle as possible to prevent bumping ride for Erica.

In the car, Arnold made a call to Alfred. "Alfred, Erica got shot, we are on our way there, please prepare everything you need to treat her!" he tried his hardest to stay calm.

"Okay! Leave it to me! We will talk after she was safe." Arnold was thankful that Alfred didn't press for detail. He didn't think he could explain it well with his state right now.

"Yes, thank you!"

"No need to thank me, we are family and you are my little brother, I will always help you with anything." Alfred hung up after he said that.

Arnold put away his phone and hugged Erica who was in his embrace never once he let her go even when they entered the car. No matter how troublesome it was, he won't let her leave his arm before they arrived at the hospital.

"Please stay strong! Even if it's not for me, at least do it for our families!"

"Why did you have to protect me!"

"Why did you have to take that bullet in my place? You should just let it be!"

"I am sorry you have to suffer like this!"

"You always say that God won't give humans a trial beyond their capability, but why did ours was this hard? How am I to cope up with this?"

"Why did God have to punish me by using you? Why did it have to be this harsh?"