Chapter Nineteen

Once I had her hand, i never want to let go of her

-Ottilie Weber

**************

When the night came, Arnold left behind to look after Erica while the remaining of the family return to the mansion, Erica's parents also would stay with them.

He sat there, staring at her without blinking like she would disappear the moment he wasn't looking at her.

He took her hand so tenderly like it would break if he was too rough. "This is crazy, you know!?" he talked to her. "Right after I decided to distance myself from you till I could keep my feeling in check, this had to happen. I should have known with your understanding of me, you would immediately noticed my change. I know I had promised you before, but I just... I just..." He couldn't find the right words.

"I am such a selfish useless idiot! I don't know how you could love someone like me?" His gaze fixed on her face. His eyes clearly showed how much pain he was in. "I think this was my punishment for breaking the promise. God know this would hurt me more than when the wound was suffered by my own self."

A tear rolled down his face and felt on her finger in his hand. "You have to be okay!" His voice was shaking. "I don't know how I will live on if I lose you just like this." He extended his hand to touch her face tenderly, "You have to wake up! The moment you open your eyes, I will make everything right. I will tell you properly how much I love you. I will show you how my love will fill your life with happiness. Do you hear me!?" He looked at her face with so much pain in his heart, he brought her knuckles to his forehead with both hands. " Please! You have to, Erica!" He plead.

After a while he finally calmed down, but his sad expression remained. His hand was still holding hers. He kept staring at her until he finally couldn't fight off the fatigue and fell asleep with his head on the bed while still holding her hand.

*************

As time passed, Arnold slowly opened his eyes. He immediately sat up straight and took a look at Erica. He couldn't help to feel disappointed when she didn't show any sign of waking up. He sighed and looked at his watch. It was almost six. He stood up and eyed her for a while before he made his way toward the washroom. When he got out, his mom came in with a plastic bag and few shopping bags.

"Good morning, dear! Did you get any sleep?" She asked him with a smile.

"Morning, Mum! I guess I slept for a while." He gave her a weak smile, he took a look at Erica and walked toward his former position.

Martha grabbed his arm, "You should eat something first."

Arnold paused on his step and turned to look at his mother.

When he just kept silent, she added, "Arnold! You would need to wait more than two days before she wake up when the anesthetic have worn off. There is nothing we could do before that."

"I know, Mum!" he replied weakly, "But I," he sighed and turned his gaze at his wife, "I would rather It was me laying there."

Martha grabbed a meal box from the plastic bag and gave it to Arnold, "Eat first! I won't let you go near her till you have finished!"

"Mum!" He complained, but still extended his hand to accept it.

"She is right here, Arnold!" She pointed at Erica, "It's not right she will disappear once you turn your gaze away." She then pointed at the sofa, "Sat there!"

Arnold complied with a sigh. His gaze never left the person on the bed. Martha sat down with him while he was eating. She shook her head at her son behavior.