Chapter 4

[ Louis' POV ]

"Emily please!" I say, raising my voice so she can hear me over her loud sobs.

"N-no!" She screeches, suddenly kicking Harry where the sun doesn't shine.

"Shit!" Harry shouts, falling to the ground holding his crotch in pain.

"Language!" I shout, as I watch Emily run out of the room in terror. She pulls the door open, and attempts to escape, but is quickly stopped by Liam.

"What's going o-" He stops when he looks at the scene in front of him.

"L-let me go!" Emily pleads, clawing at his legs.

"Em, sweetie, what happened?" He asks, clearly confused. Liam ignores Harry and I as Emily tells him.

"I-I got s-scared and ran i-in here. T-they found me an-and Harry p-pulled me out f-from under t-the bed and t-then I tried t-to get away, b-but H-Harry swore at m-me."

"Why'd he swear at you baby?" Liam asks, glaring at Harry, who is still in pain.

"I-I don't k-know." Emily sniffles, and I groan.

"She kicked him in the balls on accident, that's why he swore. He wasn't swearing at her, he was swearing because of her. There's a difference." I tell Liam, who nods at me.

"Em, he was just in pain. He didn't mean to cuss like that." Liam explains very calmly.

"I-I, I don't l-like it here." Emily says weakly, changing the topic all of a sudden.

"Why not honey bun?" Liam asks, as he wipes some tears off Emily's face.

"Y-you all s-scare me." She whimpers, causing my heart to shatter. This little girl has been through so much, and we scare her. We haven't done anything, she's just so terrified of men.

"Emily please." Liam whispers, his voice shaking. I understand how Liam is feeling right now, I think we all do. All is silent before Harry says,

"Okay everyone, I think it's time for bed."

"Agreed." I say, before walking out of the room to get Niall.

"Hey man." Niall says, as I enter the kitchen, only to find him washing the dishes.

"Hey." I say, sitting down at the table, my head in my hands.

"Alright, what's up with you?" Niall asks, turning the water off and sitting down beside me.

"Emily, that's what." Niall looks at me confused.

"What happened?"

"Harry and I scared the shit out of her, and now she hates us."

"Mate, I doubt she hates you. You're probably overreacting."

"She said she doesn't want to be here Niall. Said we scare her too much." When I tell Niall this, his face sags.

"Ouch." He mumbles, and I chuckle.

"Yeah, no kidding."

"But Lou, you gotta keep in mind that she's had a tough past. Her dad abused her." Running my hand through my hair out of stressed, I let out a loud groan.

"I know, she's got trust issues. It's just, how are we supposed to let her know that we aren't like her dad?"

"Time." Niall says simply, "It's gonna take time. She was at the orphanage for six months, and it didn't look like she trusted Ms. Anne one bit."

"I'm not a patient guy." I remind my best mate, who smirks.

"Trust me, I know." Letting out a loud laugh, I tell Niall,

"I'm going out for a drink or two. Wanna come?"

"I'd love to. I'll go see who else wants to join us." Niall disappears out of the room, leaving me alone at the kitchen table. I find myself getting lost in my thoughts, but I snap out of them when Niall and Harry enter the room.

"Harry's coming with us mate, Liam is gonna stay here with the kid." Niall says, grabbing his wallet and keys off the counter.

"Let's go." I say, hopping off the chair I've been sitting on, and jogging out the door.

"Bye Liam, we'll be back in a few hours!" Harry shouts, before slamming the door behind him. Together, the three of us bound down the hotels hallways, until we reach Niall's car.

"Shotgun!" I yell, causing Harry to curse at me.

"Fuck you man!" Harry shouts, as he climbs into the backseat. Niall, who's in the drivers seat, turns the engine over, laughing at our immaturity. Sticking my tongue out at Harry I say,

"In your face Styles."

"Alright you two, let's do this." Niall says, slamming his foot on the gas.

"Party time!" I shout, making the car erupt into cheers and laughter. Thank God we're getting this time to ourselves; Emily has put our stress levels on high, and it's time for that to stop for a little while.

[ Emily's POV ]

Harry, Niall, and Louis all left about an hour and a half ago. In that time, Liam has tried to get me to talk to him, but it hasn't worked.

"Em." Liam sighs, "Please honey, talk to me." Shaking my head, I stare at the red carpet of the room I'm in. I think this is Liam's bedroom, but I'm not 100% sure.

"N-no." I whisper, shocking Liam. It's the first time I've said a word ever since his three friends left. Lifting his head up, he looks at me, his eyes filled with concern and pity.

"Why not?" He asks, pleading with me at this point.

"I c-can't."

"Why not love? I'd never do anything to hurt you, none of us would."

"C-cause as soon as I t-tell you anything y-you'll use it t-to your ad-advantage."

"Sweetheart, I told you, I'm not going to hurt you. The lads and I adopted you so you could have a family who loves and cares about you. I just need to know a little more about your past, just so I can help." Shaking my head, I find myself looking into Liam's big brown eyes.

"It's t-too soon." I whisper, and he nods sadly.

"Okay baby. I'm gonna go attend to some business, just go to sleep alright?" He says, leaning over and kissing me gently on the forehead. Flinching slightly I whisper,

"Okay."

"Goodnight Em. I love you." The second he says those three words, I find myself burying my head into my pillow, not saying a word. He lets out a soft sigh, and I then hear the door shut, telling me he's left. He can't love me. It's not possible, no one could ever love me. Who would ever love someone as broken, terrified, and pathetic as me?

No one.

AN,

sorry, I had a little bit of writers block:) I have big plans for this story, but I don't want to rush anything.

Stay tuned for more!!

-J