prologue

Alana stood there clenching her hands as all the mud started to pile up. The tears wouldn't stop falling and her heart wouldn't stop breaking.

"He was such a good boy, it's truly a shame to have died this way." She hears someone whisper behind her.

She turns around and glares at them, her eyes slitting but the woman doesn't care and just ignores her.

The response make her angrier, she's been hearing such words all day,

"He was a good boy, but I guess everyone has secrets."

"He died young but it was his own fault."

"Such a sad ending of a smart boy"

"no one knew what he was going through"

"his parents must be shocked"

She looked over at her parents, her dad hugging her mom tightly as she cried in his arms.

Her dad looked down and tried to stay strong.

Her own tears were piling up, but she knew all of the people here were just here because of the rumors. How a boy came to his death because of his own carelessness and rebelliousness.

Did they forget the sweet boy Matt was. Do they not care of how ridiculous they sound as they praise him and shame him at his own funeral.

And all the while, she could see her mom feeling shameful at the ridiculous things the people were saying.

Alana was angry, she was angry at her parents, at the people, at the mud that has turned into a small mount. She was angry at everyone and everything.

And she was sad. A bone crushing sadness of an utter darkness disguised in the form of light.

She has lost everything. And no body seemed to care that a boy is actually gone. That her brother will not be here tomorrow. That he wouldn't laugh, wouldn't eat, wouldn't breathe ever again.

Instead all they cared about was how he died. And what a loss it is.