Prologue

"Where are we going?"

"We're going somewhere where you'll be safe Evie." my mother said.

"What do you mean? Why?" I asked. My parents and I are currently in the car, We've been driving for almost an hour. I was at home, alone, doing my homework, and all of a sudden my mother comes out from the garage with this type of glowing sword, she tells me to go and pack a bag of clothes, that we have to leave.

They're both really freaking me out right now, and all I really want to do right now is sleep.

My father replied, "You just have to trust us. You'll be staying with very close friends of ours."

We arrived to a place which my mom called The Institute. I saw a man and a woman standing outside of the building. My parents and I got out of the car, learned that the man and woman were named Robert and Maryse Lightwood.  My mom walked towards them and I could only catch a small thing that she said, "Tell her, just in case."

My parents then walked towards me.

"We both love you, and we want you to know that we did this because we want to keep you safe." My dad said.

I looked at both of them puzzled as to why they are saying this.

My mother told me that I would understand when I got older. They then kissed me and drove off.

Maryse and Robert both brought me inside The Institute.

They led me to a room where I would be staying until my parents came back, it was really beautiful, there was a balcony and the bed had a white and grey bed set. I sat at the edge of the bed, Robert and Maryse walked towards me, Maryse sat down next to me putting her hand on my shoulder, and Robert knelt down in front of me.

Maryse began, "Genevieve, I know that you may not remember us, but we would look after you sometimes when you were younger. You're parents didn't want you to know what you really are, they wanted to protect you from the world, but they have asked us to tell you."

"Tell me what?" I said. Maryse is making me more confused than I already am.

"You're a shadowhunter." Robert answered. "A shadowhunter is half-angel, half-human. They protect the human world from the demon world."

I replied back, "How is that even possible. Are my parents shadowhunters too?"

"Yes, they are." Maryse answered me.

"You'll be training with our children," Robert said.

Their children? "Wait, why would I train with your children? I mean my parents are coming back." I paused for a moment, "Right?"

Robert looked down, and Maryse looked at me with sympathy. I knew what they meant by that. I could feel tears rolling down my face, Maryse hugged me, I couldn't hold it in any longer, and I just cried in her arms.

They left me in the room after that to compose myself, and told me to come out if I wanted to walk around.

After a long while of crying, I decided to go and look around the Institute.

As I was closing the door, I felt a presence behind me. I quickly turned around to see a smiling girl, she looked no little than 13 years old.  Just as I was about to speak, she cut me off by saying, 

"Hi, I'm Isabelle Lightwood, but my brothers call me Izzy." She held out her hand for me to shake. 

I shook her hand, responding, "Genevieve,"

"Can I call you Evie?" She asked. I nodded my head smiling.

Isabelle wanted to give me a tour, and of course I agreed. She showed me every room in The Institute. We were walking down the hallway when she said,

"We're almost done, just one more room to go, the training room. My brothers are training right now." I simply nodded.

We reached the training room, I saw a raven haired boy and a blond haired boy, fighting with bo staffs. They continued until the blonde boy was knocked down.

The raven haired boy lowered his hand to the blonde, the blonde took his hand and stood up. They both chuckled. Then they turned towards us, Isabelle explained that I was a new member to the Institute.

Smirking, the blond said, "I'm Jace,"

"Genevieve," I replied.

"Or Evie," Izzy told them.

The raven haired boy looked at me intently, it was kind of uncomfortable.

"Alec," he said.

To be completely honest, Alec was really attractive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

After the tour, I decided to go back to my room. Maryse knocked on my door to ask if I wanted to have dinner, I politely said no, I wasn't really in the mood to eat anything. I laid in the bed, tears rolling down my cheeks. Hours passed, I couldn't sleep at all. I kept on tossing and turning. I sat up and decided to go and walk around.

As I was walking down the hallway I felt someone behind me, I then heard a voice,

"A little late to be walking around."

I gasped as I turned around to be faced with Alec, our bodies really close. I took a step back.

"I couldn't sleep." I said quietly.

He looked at me intently again. I couldn't look directly at his eyes, I felt sort of intimidated by him. He then took me to my room, he walked towards the balcony, opened the doors and sat down, I sat across from him. The air was nice and warm, it felt refreshing.

He broke off the silence by saying, "You don't talk much, do you,"

"I find you intimidating, I find you all intimidating" I responded.

"Why?"

"I don't know. I guess maybe because I look small compared to you. I mean, I just found out that I'm this sort of protector and I don't have experience or any sort of training that you've had." I said.

He looked at my eyes. I had that uncomfortable feeling again.

"That doesn't make you small," he said. I could hear the sincerity in his voice.

"I haven't seen Izzy this happy, she's only met you one day and I can tell that she'll pester you everyday from here on out."

I let out a slight chuckle, "I would've expected her to be a tomboy, you know growing up with two brothers and all. But she has more style than I do."

He smiled at this. Since I've been here I haven't seen him smile a lot, but when he did, I felt this sort of feeling, it was like tingling.

We'd been sitting for a while and talking about our families. I learned that Alec carried a lot of weight on his shoulders, being the eldest of his family he had to help uphold the family name.

Then afterwards, we sat in silence. The wind was blowing towards us, and it made me feel relaxed.

I called it a night and thanked Alec for keeping me company. As I laid on my bed facing upwards, I thought of my parents, of our memories together. I then thought of Alec, and I couldn't stop thinking about him. I knew from there on, Alec would occupy my mind forever.

And as for my parents, they never came back.

AN:

First chapter! What do you think of it?