1.2

^^ Evie smiling at Alec in the greenhouse.

We left the room afterwards. We stood by Isabelle and looked at the screen. My attention diverted when I saw Jace and redhead with a mundane. I poked Alec's shoulder, when he turned to face me, he asked,

"What's wrong?"

"Who is that?" I asked curiously while pointing at the mundane.

He turned to look at their direction, furrowing his eyebrows.

He sighed and said, "I don't know."

I let out a small gasp when Alec intertwined his hand with mine and and led me to them. Once we were behind them, our hands let go and I leaned on the table where Izzy was. I heard Izzy whisper, "Looks like genevec is slowly happening."

I blushed and looked back at her to see her smiling,

"What is going on? Why is there a mundane in the Institute?" Alec asked.

Jace sighed before responding, "A Circle member followed him to get to Clary."

Redhead added, "A Circle rune, just like the guys that took my mother."

"What exactly is a Circle member and why are they trying to kill us?" the mundane asked.

I let out a small chuckle. The mundane was kinda cute. Alec turned around and looked at me with an expression that I couldn't grasp. He turned around and crossed his arms, looking at the mundane.

"All we know is a long time ago the Circle led a revolt. A lot of Shadowhunters got killed, including my father." Jace answered.

I frowned. While living at the Institute, I was always able to empathize with Jace, since both our parents were killed and we were taken in by the Lightwoods. We both knew how it felt to never really be loved by our own parents. But, we are grateful for Robert and Maryse. They became our parents and we became their family. 

"And since the revolt we've been forbidden to even hear about the Circle." Alec said.

Redhead says, "But, how is that even possible? It's your history."

"Says the girl who didn't know she was a Shadowhunter?" Jace remarks.

Alec stands next to me.

"Yeah, you're right. And now the only person who knows the truth is missing, so I don't care about your rules or what's forbidden, I'm, There's gotta be someone out there who can tell us why they've taken my mother."

This girl is kind of getting on my nerves. I just let out a deep sigh and hold my anger in. At this point, Izzy stands up and stands next to me. I look at her and just roll my eyes.

"There is. You coming?" Jace tells her.

"Yeah"

Redhead and mundane follow Jace. Jace turns around and points at the mundane,

"No, no, no. Not you."

"Hey, we're a package deal." Clary says.

"Yeah." mundie says.

Jace points out that the runes would kill redhead's mundie boyfriend. They both rectify that they're just friends. Izzy and I just smile.

"And I'm tough. I can handle runes. So, uh, bring on the runes." mundie says while lightly hitting Jace shoulder, Jace lightly chuckles. Mundie continues, "What exactly are runes?"

After being silent for so long, I finally decide to speak up,

"They give Shadowhunters our demon-fighting powers." I smile at him.