2.1

SONG FOR THE CHAPTER;

HARD TIME

SEINABO SEY

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

Worry. Anger. Impatience. Everyone at the Institute was feeling this, no one more than Alec. It had only been a couple of days since Jocelyn woke up, and since Jace left with Valentine. Izzy and I tried tracking him with our parabatai rune but no luck. We were doing everything in our power to find Jace and bring him back home.

"Any word from the Clave?" Isabelle asks beside me.

"Not yet and we've been trying for the past four hours. Something's up." Lydia says.

Magnus joins us, "Hmm, the Clave being unhelpful? Who's shocked? Show of hands?"

We walk towards the screen table.

"I'm worried. I can't sense Jace through our parabatai bond." Alec tells us.

"We'll find him, Alexander." Magnus assures, looking at me. I smile softly.

"When we arrested Hodge, he said Valentine was on a ship." I say. "They must still be over water."

Lydia contemplates, "Pull up the waterways around New York."

I create a hologram of New York on the table while Magnus tries to track Jace using his clothes.

"The ship couldn't have gone too far." Isabelle says.

Alec looks at Magnus, "Anything?"

"Sorry." Magnus says, shaking his head.

"There's gotta be something!" Alec exclaims.

"I don't see him." Magnus says.

Alec turns to face the rest of the shadowhunters, "All right, listen up! I want 24/7 monitoring of the Hudson and the East Rivers. If you see anything unusual, you come to me first."

"I've got this, Alec." Lydia says.

Alec turns to face her, "Then why haven't you found Jace yet?"

"Don't forget who you're talking to. I am still the head of this Institute."

"And my brother is still missing!" Alec retorts.

I don't blame Alec for feeling this way. His parabatai is being manipulated by one of the most dangerous shadowhunters and we have no idea where they are. I'd probably be feeling the same way if Izzy were missing.

"Why don't you just take a break?" Izzy tells Alec.

"Not now, Izzy."

"Isabelle's right, and it's not a request. You're dismissed." Lydia says.

"Fine!" He says turning to leave.

I decide it best to not say anything to him right now. He's already on edge and not thinking straight.

I turn to Magnus, "I can't apologize for him, but he's not feeling well, obviously."

"Obviously." Magnus replies smiling.

"He needs Jace, we all do." I say.

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

I let Alec cool down before deciding to look for him. I find him on the roof of the Institute.

"I'm sorry for how I reacted before. It's not personal." He says while I approach him.

"I get it." I say softly, "I know what you're going through, Alec."