The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise

Two hooded figures were walking down a long corridor in the top floor of a tall building. The cityscape of Coruscant was visible through the glass panelled wall and for a minute, both figures gazed upon the Jedi Temple in the distance. The city was beautiful at night, with many ships flying in an organised fashion to various parts of the well-lit planet. The taller of the two figures turned and continued walking whilst the latter followed suit.

"How is your apprentice doing?" asked the tall figure.

"He is doing very well," replied the other.

"Not well enough," said the taller of the two. "He allowed two Jedi to escape the Palace unscathed as well as allowing a third to contact the Tatooine Law Enforcement just before his death. I have had to pay a bribe of 1500 Galactic Credits to make sure the Jedi Council are not informed."

"I am sorry, Master, but I will make sure that this will not go unpunished," replied the apprentice, calmly.

"You do realise that for him to be a Sith, one of us must die? I will not go down anytime soon," the master said.

"Tell me Master, you say there is another. If Maul should fail then he is our backup?" asked the apprentice.

"Not a backup, no. The boy is essential for the rise of our Sith order. When the time comes, you must kill Maul and replace him with the one of which we speak. It has taken me years to use the midichlorians to create him, and soon he will crush every living Jedi," replied the master. The taller of the two, Darth Plagueis, strode into a room which was occupied with a table. He sat down and gestured for his apprentice to sit. He called in a servant who poured some Naboo Wine into two glasses. Both figures drank and then started speaking again, in low voices.

"Master, you have tried to create the perfect apprentice countless times and each time it has failed. Why should this boy be anything different?" asked the apprentice.

"Darth Sidious, you of all people know how significant the Skywalkers have been in recent history," said Plagueis.

"Yes my Lord. But none of them were force-sensitives and the boy and his mother are currently slaves," replied Sidious.

"In time, you will come to accept the boy to be far superior in the force than you are, my apprentice," Plagueis sighed. Sidious considered for a second. Maul was highly skilled and hand picked by himself, but he sensed that his loyalty was not absolute. He would have to give Maul one final test to prove the commitment that he had. Sidious looked at Plagueis and smiled. It was time. Sidious stood up and walked towards his Master who stepped backwards slightly.

"I am sorry Master," said Sidious. "The time has come for my apprentice to take the final step towards being a Sith."

"You are making a mistake! It was not destined for you and Maul to control the galaxy," shouted Plagueis. Sidious charged forwards and smashed his lightsaber on the table, causing it to break in two. Plagueis stood his ground with a lightsaber in each hand, one for attack and one for defence. Sidious slashed at his former Master's chest but Plagueis looked unhurt.

"Stand down!" shouted Sidious. Plagueis smashed the glass behind him and laughed.

"Force push me out of the building, Sidious, or are your powers not yet at my standard?" Plagueis taunted. Sidious sent out a wave of the force which was instantly blocked by Plagueis. The Master then threw his lightsaber at his apprentice, making a large scar in his chest. With his remaining lightsaber, Plagueis deflected Sidious' attack. Sidious watched as Plagueis jumped onto the top of the building. Sidious followed suit.

"You can't win this!" shouted Plagueis. "Surrender while you still can. I am the only hope for the Sith." Sidious slashed again at his master but missed. This proved costly as Plagueis force pushed Sidious' lightsaber out of his hand. The Apprentice produced Plagueis' lightsaber, that he threw earlier, out of his pocket. The Master tried to force choke Sidious but could not hold it for long enough. Sidious used is master's fatigue to his advantage and used his lightning ability on his former master. Plagueis knelt down in defeat and stared at the victor in horror.

"You have caused the death of our Sith tradition," said Plagueis. "After centuries of work, you destroy it all! Why?"

"Maul will be replaced with the child in time. If he is truly the chosen one, the Sith's control over the Galaxy will be reborn," shouted Sidious.

"Farewell, Sidious. You are worthy of obtaining my title of Master, but I sense your victory will be short lived," whispered Plagueis as he stabbed himself in the heart with his lightsaber. A wisp of blue smoke floated out of his body as he rolled off the edge of the building into the night. Sidious picked up his master's lightsaber and sighed.

"Goodbye my master," he said as he threw it into the abyss. He turned and left the scene, now a Sith Master.

A few miles away, a shadowy figure had watched the whole scene through his binoculars. He brushed some dirt off his robes and laughed.

"So now it is time," he said. "Now I must duel with Darth Sidious' apprentice to gain my rightful place as a Sith."

"Sir, what do we do with the Zabrak informant?" asked another figure.

"Please, sir, I was at the Palace. I know a lot more about Maul and I can help you," pleaded the Zabrak.

"Kill him! A Sith is not merciful," he said. "Soon Darth Rahziid will rise to power and conquer the Galaxy." The Zabrak's screams echoed into the night as he was flung off the building; the evil figure laughing all the while.