Chapter Three

I wake up to soft crying. I open my eyes, rubbing them and sitting up. Copeland was crying.

As I open the door to her room I peek in, Copeland sitting up in her bed. Her hands rest on her face as she cries into them, a blanket wrapped around her shoulders.

I walk over to her, sitting down onto the bed. "C'mere." I mumble, opening my arms. She slinks into my arms, wrapping her arms around my bicep. I rub her back slowly, rocking her back and forth.

"What's wrong honey?" I ask quietly, trying to calm her down. "I-I miss my d-daddy." She cries, looking up at me with watery eyes. "Its gonna be okay sweetie." I sooth, pressing her against my chest. She cries harder.

"I'll ask Austin tomorrow when you'll be able to see him. Does that sound okay?" I say. "Y-Yeah." She sobs, clutching onto my shirt. I continue to rock her back and forth, closing my eyes.

I stand, carrying her into my room. I could feel myself falling asleep as I lay her down in my bed, climbing in next to her. She cuddles up next to me, breathing deeply. I reach over and turn off the lamp, laying down and holding her.

She wasn't crying as hard anymore, silent tears streaming down her face. "Darling it'll be okay." I whisper, kissing her on the forehead and falling asleep.

-

It was the next morning, Copeland sat at the table, enjoying her breakfast. I was currently on the phone with Austin, trying to see how soon Copeland could see her dad.

"Well, he's no longer in the hospital he's in a mental facility. I think that she'll be able to see him soon. The soonest is next week Wednesday. I'll call the facility and see if he can leave to see her and then go back. Maybe we can make a schedule. How does that sound?"

"That sounds great!" I smile, looking over at Copeland. "Okay I'll call the facility, make arrangements and stuff."

"Okay, call me back when everything is sorted out."

"Yup, talk to you later."

"Ight, bye."

I hang up, placing my phone on the table.

"That was Austin, he said that you will be able to see your dad next week!" I say excitedly. Her face lightens up.

"Really?!" She laughs, setting her spoon down. "Yup!"

She jumps to her feet, running over to me and giving me a big hug. I smile down at her, hugging her tightly. "I'm excited." She says, going back to her bowl and picking it up. "I am too." I say, grabbing my cup of orange juice and taking a sip.

"I have a question." She says, sitting down on the couch. "And that is?"

"When my daddy feels better, will I be able to see you again?"

I look at her, smiling sadly. "That's up to your dad." I say, patting her on the back. "I hope so, you're really fun." She smiles, giving me a large hug. "You're fun too Copeland, I love having you around."

She smiles, taking my hand. "Can we go on a walk?" It was late but still light out, thick clouds rolling in.

"Yeah, that's alright." I get a good grip on her hand, leading her towards the front door. She slips on her shoes, still holding onto my hand. I do the same, opening the door and letting her step out first.

She squints, smiling at the summer sun. Clouds were rolling in quickly as we walked down the street, watching the birds fly. The forecast for today was a ninety percent chance of thunderstorms.

I hope Cope wasn't afraid.

We continue walking, doing a whole circle around the block, ending up back at the house.

Copeland jumps as a raindrop hits her head. She smiles up at me as more fat raindrops plop down onto our heads. "I like rain, just not thunderstorms." She says, smiling at me.

The rain comes down harder and she laughs, jumping into a puddle forming. She giggles, grabbing my other hand. "Dance with me!" She exclaims, jumping around in the pouring rain.

We dance, laughing and smiling at each other. I twirl her around, the rain soaking us to the bone. As she jumps around in the puddles I see my neighbor from across the street staring at us through her window curtains. She glares, shaking her head in disapproval.

"Let's get you inside and ready for bed." I say, grabbing her cold hand. She smiles, hair completely soaked.

"Stay here, I'm going to get a towel." I say, her arms clasped around her shivering body. I rush quickly to the bathroom, grabbing two towels. "Here you are." I smile, wrapping the towel around her shoulders.

She smiles, teeth chattering. "T-Thank you."

"Alright I'm gonna find you some warm pajamas, stay here." She nods at my instructions, smiling happily.

I make my way to her room, rummaging through the drawers of her drawer. She didn't have much, most of it probably still at her dads house. I grab the fluffiest pair of pajama pants I could find, picking up a random t-shirt. I also grabbing clean underwear.

"Here you are darling." I say, handing her the clean clothes. "I can get dressed myself." She says proudly, making me turn around as she undresses.

"I saw that lady looking at us before we came in." Copeland says, dropping her shirt onto the ground. "Yeah, she doesn't like me." I say.

"Why?" She asks.

"I don't know really, she's never liked me that much." I laugh, Copeland smiling.

"That's alright, cause I like you. That means that it's okay, right?"

I smile, nodding.

"Now it's time for bed, if you go to sleep now you'll be one day closer to seeing you dad."

She smiles brightly, giving me a hug. "I almost forgot!" She exclaims, taking my hand and standing.

I smile at her as she skips towards her room, dragging me with behind her. She jumps into her bed, covering herself with her blankets.

"I'm going to sleep now." She says, waving at me. "Good night Cope."

"Good night Viccy."

-

Hey lmao I love writing this

Anyways thanks for reading I love reading all the comments and seeing in my notification box that people are adding this to their libraries and liking it , it really means a lot (:

I love y'all so much

xoxoxoxoxox

~Mikayla