Chapter Thirteen

I HAD TO TAKE A CRYING BREAK IN-BETWEEN THIS BECAUSE I WAS LISTENING TO OM&M's NEW ALBUM AND WAS SOBBING OKay continue

-

Today was going to be great. Me, Kellin, and Copeland were going to the zoo. Copeland wouldn't stop bugging me about it so when she got back from an overnight visit with Kellin she of course got her way.

"She won't shut up about the zoo." Kellin had said, Copeland running after a butterfly in the front yard. I smile, Kellin and I swinging on the porch swing. He lets out a soft sigh, looking over at me with a smile.

"Dad when are we leaving?" Copeland calls out, frowning as the butterfly flies away. "Soon." I call out, standing and wiping my pants off.

Now we were on our way to the zoo, Copeland letting out a loud squeal when a certain song came on the radio. It was a song by Selena Gomez, but Cope seemed very happy to be listening to it. Kellin watches her from the review mirror, a small smile on his face.

She dances happily, swinging her arms and legs around. "Today is gonna be so fun!" She squeals, smiling at Kellin and I. The car creeps along the road slowly, the line to the ticket booth only a couple cars long. They make you pay for your ticket before you even park, Kellin grabbing his wallet and rifling through it.

"How much will it be?" He asks. "Maybe like, thirty? There's two adult passes and a kid pass so maybe around twenty-five or thirty." I say, grabbing my wallet too.

We pull up to the booth, a very bored looking girl standing there. "How many?" She sighs, giving me a bored look. "Two adults and a kid." I say, opening my wallet.

"That'll be thirty-two fifty-one." She says, stretching out her hand. I pull out a twenty, Kellin handing me a ten and a five. I hand over the money, letting the lady punch in numbers and giving me the change and the tickets. "Thank you." I smile, the lady nodding as we drive off.

The parking lot is packed, people trying to leave and find a spot. "Can I hold my ticket?" Copeland asks from the back, crossing her legs. I grab her ticket, passing it back to her. She cradles it in her hand, looking down at it with a loving look.

She holds the thin paper with delicate hands as if she was holding a newborn baby. A smile finds its way to my lips as Kellin points out an open spot. I press the gas and zoom to the spot before anyone could.

"I'm so excited!" Copeland shouts, waving her arms and legs around in quick motions. Kellin laughs, leaning back to unbuckle her. "No! Dad look! I can do it myself!" She hands him her ticket, unbuckling herself with a large smile on her face.

"My baby is all grown up!" He coos, exiting the car and opening Copeland's door so she could get out. She continues to smile, grabbing Kellins hand. I let her take mine after I lock the car and grab the tickets.

We head towards the front gates, people pooling into the stuffy area. It was a hot day, the sun beating down on all the sweaty bodies. Copeland continues to smile as we wait in line, hand gripping mine tightly.

Finally we hand the people our tickets, entering the zoo. Copeland looks around in amazement, letting out a squeal. She had said earlier about how she wanted to see the penguins so I lead our small group into the zoo, heading towards the middle. There's a small crowd of people at the barrier, blocking them from the penguins habitat.

I pick Copeland up and put her on my shoulders, Kellin standing at my side. The penguins waddle around, some of them swimming in the cool water and most of the laying in the shade. Copeland lets out a small squeal, watching as one of the penguins lets itself slip into the water.