Chapter Eighteen

I arrive home with the beagle and Mike opens the door, giving me a curious look.

"You bought Copeland a dog for her birthday? Man she's so spoiled." Mike sighs, letting me in. I roll my eyes, setting the cage on the floor and unclipping the front. The lazy puppy perks up at the new atmosphere, sniffing around.

He finds a comfortable spot on the floor by the couch, stretching himself out before laying down. Mike lets out a laugh as I fold up the stroller. "You chose the laziest thing ever." He teases, picking Jackson up and propping him on his hip.

"Copeland will love him, trust me." I reassure, taking the dog supplies I removed from the bottom of the stroller and bringing it into the kitchen. Mike follows, watching as I unpack the two grocery bags. "Should I put him in his crib?" He asks, looking at the tired baby.

"Go ahead, he might not stay down though."

He leaves anyways, leaving me to figure out which cabinet to put the dog food in.

"How do you think Kellin's gonna react to you buying a dog for his daughter?"

I glare at Mike as he enters the kitchen, leaning against the countertop. "I don't know." I shrug, closing the cabinet and throwing away the plastic bag. "What if he reacts bad? Like, cause you bought Copeland a better gift."

I continue to glare. "Don't say that! Barbies are great!"

"Wow Vic, I can't believe mom and dad ever thought you were straight." Mike chuckles, dodging my hand as I go to slap his shoulder. "Shut up." I roll my eyes, shoving him lightly and going into the living room.

The puppy stays on the floor, lifting his head a bit to look at me before laying back down on his paws. "Did you name him yet?" Mike asks, following me into the living room. "No, I think Copeland should name him."

"Oh okay, she'll probably name him sparkle or something like that."

I roll my eyes for what feels like the millionth time. "God you are annoying." I groan, Mike chuckling as his phone rings. "Excuse me." He says, pulling out his ringing phone and exiting the room.

He talks to whoever is on the phone for a long time, so while he's gone I try to play with the puppy. "You okay bud? Adjusting well?" I ask rhetorically, sitting down on my knees in front of him.

The poor lil' thing crawls into my lap, lazily resting his head on my arm. I smile softly, standing and sitting on the couch. To pass time I turn on the tv, petting the lazy dog in my lap.

-

It was the next day. I was awoken from my slumber by the cries of a baby. Jackson.

I pull myself out of bed, picking Jackson up out of his crib in my half asleep state. "Shh... It's okay bud I have you." I hum, resting my head on his. He lays his head on my shoulder, crying softly as I rock back and forth.

"Vic you awake?" Mike's voice calls from a distant room. "Yeah." I croak, exiting my room and going into the kitchen. Mike greets me with a cup of coffee, taking Jackson from my arms. I mumble a small thank you, picking up the warm cup and taking a sip.

"God it's so early." I whine, rubbing my eyes. "That's the daily routine of a father." Mike states matter-of-factly, throwing me a smile. "You hungry boy?" Mike coos, putting Jackson in his high chair.

Jackson looks around with lidded eyes, confused. He starts to cry, Mike rushing to fill a bottle with milk. I watch in amusement, Mike  dashing around the kitchen. "How do you do this so quickly?" He mutters, struggling to twist the lid of the bottle to the base.