Chapter 8

In Barcassa, Aurelia, a highly confidential and restricted company was alive with damage control. Hunter's Weaponry HQ had been trying to rectify the damage that the recent disaster caused in Blue Land three days ago. The disaster that destroyed their most lucrative branch, claiming lives along with it. 

Though most of Aurelia thought this destruction was due to a natural disaster, Cade knew better. This wasn't the first time she tried to get his attention, however, it was the first time, in a long time, that she had the strength and power to do this much damage. 

"Yes Mr James, I'm aware of the damage that has been done," Cade calmly stated.

"A village near your company has also been destroyed and is currently flooded! You said you had the situation under control!"

"We do-"

"Then why are these creatures attacking us?! A few weeks ago one of our harbours in Blue Land was invaded and lit ablaze!"

"I'm also aware of that and I have been-"

"You have been neglecting your duties! These creatures have almost brought Aurelia to the brink of collapse once before and your job is to ensure that never happens again."

"Yes."

"I am not a man who likes his time and resources wasted. And it seems to me, in the last few months, you and your supernatural friends have been a waste of my time and resources!"

"I can assure you that is far from true. As we speak, I have hunters-"

"Wasting my time! I want this situation handled, and I want it handled now!"

Hearing the click, Cade sighed. But there was no time to wallow in despair, there was work to be done.

"Speak," he commanded as he reconnected with Jason. 

"The target has been spotted. It's a tall male and goes by the name Nate. Or so his lady friend calls him. He is indeed a newborn Hate-Feeder and quite powerful." Jason replied. 

Though he noticed the change of tone in Cade's voice, he said nothing. If he was to know what happened on the call with Aurelia's head of security, then he would've been told.

 Jason and Drake had been tracking Jaycell, Xavier, and Javier for months since the birthing of Jaycell the siren. They came close to the elimination of these creatures quite a few times in the past, but the ocean always seemed to be one step ahead, calling them home, the one place hunters couldn't reach. What a wise mistress she'd become.

She hid them well, even their stench had been covered up but a newcomer couldn't hide as well as a trained agent. And this newcomer was their ticket to the experience.

"Lady friend?" Cade asked, "Can she be useful in their downfall?"

"I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem that way," Jason replied with narrowed eyes. 

"I want eyes on him. He'll lead us to the rest."

"My thoughts exactly," Jason agreed, ending the call. 

Jason sat in comfortable silence, listening attentively to the conversation in the diner.

"How are you? You look a little battered and bruised," the girl asked, wrinkling her nose. She was short with curly hair. Light brown skin and big brown eyes.

"I'm fine, it's nothing." the Nate guy replied through gritted teeth. The girl looked down with a pout. I wonder who got to this Nate before we did. He looked like he barely escaped. I'm proud of this unknown person.

"Brie, tell me what you want so I can be on my way," He said gently. 

Brie looked up with hopeful eyes, "After what happened with Xavier, I realized how selfish I was and I'm sorry. I just... I want us to work things out."