Chapter 10

The morning that followed seemed stagnant. Cold sat motionless on her bed since viewing the death of Jaycell. Her tears stopped flowing, and at the same time, she went numb. 

Nate clenched and unclenched his fists, body burning bright blue flames and extinguishing. He felt, trapped. He couldn't move, not because he didn't want to, but because he just couldn't. 

He was more than shocked, he was scared. She was captured by them, but how? There had been no sign of hunters anywhere, so how could they have gotten to her? How could they have taken her at the perfect moment when no one was around? Eyebrows furrowed, his body burned. His heartbeat was barely there. 

Though Nate and Cold were both shocked and rendered immobile by the new information, Xavier had a different reaction. 

Instead of grieving her death, Xavier self-destructs. As the sun rose, shining through his room, Xavier lay drained on the floor, silently crying.

His working desk was broken. The glass of what once was a window, shattered. Splinters of wood and glass decorated the carpet. His resting place showed signs of a struggle, of an attack. But he was the attacker. 

Though he only met Jaycell after she transformed, she was his friend. And for a long time, his only friend. 

He felt alone, and empty. He felt an incredible pain in his chest, a clear sign of his wounded soul. His heart raced as he panted in anger on the floor, but he could no longer release that anger. His body was exhausted from the excessive use of mystical powers. 

As Javier stood in the doorway of his little brother's room, he sympathized with him. He knew what it was like to lose someone who was such an integral part of your existence. He had been there once. 

He knew what it was like for the hunters to eliminate the people you loved. He had been there many times. He wanted nothing more than to comfort Xavier, but what could he say? That it'll get better? He was living proof that it only got worse. 

He never wanted his brother to be involved in this life and she knew it. But Xavier made that decision, and the freedom to do so was something Javier knew he could never take away from him.

Though there was nothing he could say, there was something he could do. Walking into the room, the glass and wood crunched beneath his shoe. Squatting beside Xavier's head, he wiped the tears that rolled like a river down his face. Petting his head, he remained silent. 

"I want them dead." Xavier's voice was strong and determined. Before Javier could respond, a familiar voice laid a command in his mind. 

'Come to me, now!' 

The voice was vengeful and filled with rage. Xavier may just be lucky.

~~~~~

Cold never thought she would have a bad swim, but today, that assumption was proven wrong. Normally, she was excited for a good splash in the waves with her black tail, lined with purple accents. However today,  she didn't even care that she had a tail. 

The thrill of seeing something new with every deep dive didn't bring her the pleasure that it usually did. It brought her no pleasure at all.

Coming to a halt, Cold watched as her friends and Javier surrounded the only light in the darkness. The silhouette was barely recognizable. However, still blinding and magnificent. 

It was the ocean. Not the body entirely, but her soul. The soul that radiated anger and promised vengeance.

 Swimming closer, she settled between her old friend, who caused her pain, and her new friend who seemed to make the pain bearable.