New Friends

"Rolis, old friend!" Thrain had come into the room and they grabbed each others shoulders in greeting. He bowed to my mother and kissed her hand, "Melina." And then he turned his attention to me. "Hello, dear one!" He repeated his bow and also kissed my hand. I smiled widely at him.

"It occurred to me this afternoon that it could get very lonely for a little girl in a giant palace. It's a good thing that I have children of my own that can keep you company! Would you like to meet them?" he smiled at me.

"Very much!" I exclaimed and giggled. "Come on then!" he grabbed my tiny hand in his and led me to a room where three children were playing. Two boys and a girl. I noticed they were all around my age for the most part. Especially since dwarves age slower than men. The pretty girl jumped up quickly and ran to us. I took a small step back at her abruptness. It startled me a little. Thrain noticed and began to speak.

"Roslina, this is my daughter, Dis!"

"Hello" I smiled, I was a little shy when first meeting people.

"Hello, Roslina! I'm so happy to finally have a girl to keep me company! All I ever have around are stupid boys!"

"Hey! We aren't stupid!" one of the boys shouted. At this moment Thrain chimed in.

"That is my son Frerin."

"Hello, Frerin." I smiled. He smiled back but then he said something rather rude.

"Why do you look so funny?"

"Frerin!!" Thrain and Dis shouted simultaneously. I frowned and hung my head. My eyes on the floor and two more feet appeared in my vision. I looked up to see the other boy.

"Frerin! You idiot!" And the other boy slapped Frerin in the back of the head. He winced and I smirked.

The boy bowed. "My name is Thorin. It is nice to meet you, Roslina." He grinned and I smiled back at him.

I studied Thorin for a long time. He had dark, almost black hair that was only a little shaggy. His eyes were as blue as the sky on a clear day. And he looked the most mature out of all of us. He was only a few years older than me. Two or three I'd imagined. Thrain began to speak again and led all four of us back to the dining hall. Everyone was there waiting for us. Thror greeted his son and grandchildren warmly and he greeted me with the same warmth. Everyone feasted together. Dis sat next to me nearly talking my ear off. I liked her a lot! I had no brothers or sisters but I imagined she would be a perfect sister to have. Thorin talked to me a few times. He was not as outgoing as his sister. Frerin said a word or two here and there, but he was still mad Thorin smacked him early.

After dinner, the four of us ran off to explore the palace. I made sure to stay close since I was unfamiliar with the place. Frerin had recommended a game of hide and seek! We all happily obliged and the three of us screamed "Not it!" before Frerin could say another word. He growled in complaint and said that I, the new girl, should have to go first. "Nope. Fair is fair." Thorin said to him and shot me a grin and I smiled back. Frerin grumbled again and closed his eyes and began to count.

"One...Two... Three... Four..." I looked around for a place to hide but I had no idea where to go! I was going to lose for sure. I ran to a pillar but found Dis already occupying it.

"Eleven... Twelve... Thirteen..." I didn't know what to do or where to hide. Then I felt a hand tug me to my left. It was Thorin! He led me to a small crawl space and gently pushed me in it. He smiled, winked and ran off. I was happy to be out of sight because..."Twenty!" He was coming!

Frerin looked for me for fifteen minutes or better. He didn't even try to look for the others. He only wanted me to be it. I heard his footsteps coming closer to my spot. He was almost there when..."Hey! I'm gonna touch base!" was shouted from across the room. It was Thorin. Frerin ran after him. And when he was far enough away, I started running as fast as my little legs could carry me. Frerin heard me and turned around to come after me, but Thorin jumped in front of him, blocking him. I touched base! I won! Dis and Thorin cheered for me and clapped. Frerin, however, was not too happy at me beating him. Thorin helped me win the game!

"Don't tell anyone, okay?" Thorin said to me, still grinning.

"What?"

"That's my secret hiding place. No one knows about it, so don't tell. Promise?"

"I pinky promise!" There is nothing stronger than a six year olds pinky promise. We locked pinkies and started to giggle.

"Roslina!" I heard my mama calling me. "Coming, mama!" I called back.

Dis came a hugged me so tightly I thought she had crushed all my bones. Years of only have to brothers to play with must've made her tough. She promised to find me after breakfast and we would play dolls. Thorin approached me and bowed and I flashed and bright smile at him. Frerin came to me and smiled slyly as he said "Good game." and punched me in the arm. It hurt but I still smiled.

I turned to go to mama when I heard a "WAP! I looked back and Frerin was rubbing the back of his head and Thorin smirked at his pain. I giggled a little as I knew what had happened...again.

I turned and followed mama to my room and she tucked me in and Papa came and sang to me in his deep voice. I twirled me tiny fingers in his beard as I drifted to sleep.