Bag End

The Shire was very calm and peaceful. Most hobbits were safely tucked away in their hobbit holes for the night. Though there were still a few out and about, enjoying themselves at the little tavern in town. I saw a little hobbit man stumbling down the path. He'd obviously had a little too much fun at the tavern. I approached and asked where I'd be able to find a mister Bilbo Baggins and he pointed and gave me a few directions that I could hardly make out through his slurs. But I got the general idea. I thanked him and proceeded forward. Then, I saw a parade of ponies tied to the fence of a hobbit hole. That must be it. As I drew closer, I noticed the glowing mark on the door. I could hear the commotion coming from inside. I could tell the company would be a rowdy bunch. I tied Sunny to a post next to the ponies and walked to the door. I could make out a few words from inside.

"When's this important member going to arrive?" I heard a deep voice ask, annoyance in his voice.

"She should have been here by now. I'm beginning to worry for her?" Gandalf replied.

"She? A woman? You've invited a woman to join us?" Then a loud protest broke out. It sounded as if everyone was against me tagging along. This infuriated me. I walked back to Sunny and retrieved the bag, now soaked with blood and walked to the door. I didn't knock, I just walked in. No one heard me enter for they were all still protesting loudly about how a woman would "only cause trouble" and "slow them down." I entered the kitchen and tossed to bloody bag on the table in front of them, it rolled a little and everyone fell silent. "Oh, you've nothing to say now?" I asked with an attitude and glared at the company. I looked around and saw a few familiar faces and I froze. I recognized Balin, Dwalin, Bofur, and Gloin. They all stared at me, faces white, eyes wide and jaws dropped. The figure sitting at the end of the table with his back to me stiffened. No one moved for a long while. Everyone, except the figure in front of me, stared. The silence and tension was deafening. Gandalf broke the silence.

"Ah, hello, dear. I was beginning to worry. I see you must have a good excuse." He said, gesturing towards to the bloody bag. I turned to him.

"I was attacked in the wood." I told him what all had happened. Everyone was still gawking and listening to me speak.

"Well I am glad to see you're alright." He ended that conversation. And the silence took hold again. The stiffened figure never turned to face me. In fact, he didn't move at all. The eyes of the company began to shift between me and the figure with his back to me. It made me quite nervous. The hobbit, aware of the tension in the room, finally asked, "And who might you be?" The stares didn't cease.

"I'm sorry for being rude, Master Baggins. My name is Roslina. It is a pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure is all mine." He added, with a silly bow. I smiled.

"But-...but how?" Dwalin finally spoke. I turned back towards to company, whose gazed still glanced between me and the man in front of me.

"I- I-..." I stuttered. The figure in front of me arose. My stomach dropped and my heart was in my throat. I knew it was him. Thorin. He turned and looked at me with his sad blue eyes. His face was pale. I felt like I was going to be sick. Then he walked outside. I was frozen. I didn't know whether to follow or stay where I was.

"Roslina," Gandalf began. "Perhaps it would be best for you to get some air as well." I nodded. The sick feeling in my stomach and throat only got worse as I drew closer to the door. As I walked outside, I saw Thorin leaning with his elbows on the fence, his head in his hands. I slowly drew closer and noticed he was crying slightly. I felt awful. My stomach sank deeper. He froze and stiffened up again when I finally reached him. I lifted my hand and touched his arm. His muscles tightened.