Chapter 8

Hunted

Chapter 8

Two Days Later

            My gaze wondered as I sat lonely and void of social interaction. You’d think that someone who spent their whole life alone would have found better ways to occupy their time than to be staring off into space. My mind stood at a standstill, to emotionally exhausted to act out upon my disinterested state.

            From my cot, I stared out the window, following the angular buildings and distant homes. Curiosity struck my mind as I wondered what lay in the houses. The possibility of roaming through the streets, entering houses as I pleased teased my brain. It could pass some time and help me understand more of what happened. Pondering the thought in my head a while longer, I soon agreed.

            I left the empty shell of a building, grabbing a rifle from the stack in the door way as a precaution. Relishing the frigid air as it caressed my lifeless flesh; I trekked through the concrete jungle. My mind seemed to be only filled with questions about this town, no answers were yet found to fill the void in my mind.

            To my right was a small home, the exterior was coated in a faint blue that had chipped away revealing the weak, rotted wood beneath. I crossed the cracked pavement and strode towards the building, determined to find some type of explanation for its inhabitants.

            Leaping up the steps, I took in the door way and imagined the force that was pressed against it to force the chunk of oak open in such a way. With ease, I pressed my fingertips into the timber and it squealed open, revealing the ghastly state of the front room.  The most likely once neatly place furniture was scattered about the room with various marks of claws tracing across the piece.

            The warm brown couch erupted at four bursting seams, each parallel to another, all the same length tracing down the couch. I stepped inside and the floor screamed in protest. Pale crème walls surrounded me, almost giving off a calming feel if the rest of the house didn’t reflect the horrifying past that it had.

            I weaved around the furniture, and ignored the crimson signs of struggle on the floor. As I made my way into the small kitchen I took in the discarded chairs and dishes spread across the black counters.

            Abandoned rotted fruit rolled across the floor in disarray. To my left was a tall staircase, leading to the next floor. I glanced around once more before treading up the steps. On each sides of the stairwell hung pictures, smiling faces defying the present situation. After I paused for a moment at each photograph to see the grinning face of a small boy, the elated smile of his mother and the proud gaze of his father, I made my way to the upper floors.

            Three ivory doors faced me and each taunting me with what could lie behind. I chose the one closest to me as I clutched the knob and entered the small vividly hued room. Different types and colors of toys were scattered among the floor. The dark blue walls contrasted against the accents of red, green and yellow. The narrow bed was neatly made but was blurred out by the trinkets and articles of clothing that littered the floor.

            A small smile found its way to my face as I thought of the moments of play and laughter that the child had experienced. Not wanting to disrupt the once great memories of that room I stepped back into the hall and slid the door shut. Taking a few steps, I stood in front of the next door.

            Pushing the door open I was faced with what was obviously the parents’ bedroom. The furniture and colors were very sophisticated and classic. The dark wood and contrasting ivories left the room very mysterious. Instantly my attention was drawn towards the bookcase in the left corner of the room. I hesitantly looked around, questioning whether to go inside and break the peace that my mind had conjured up.

            Falteringly I stepped inside the room and strode across the nearly ebony floors until I reached the bookshelf. Scanning along the rows of books, filled with random novels, I reached a large scarlet bound book that stood out from the rest.

            Taking it from its former place, I balanced it on my forearm and flipped open the front cover. Inside were photographs layered upon photographs. Each having their own story to tell. I stood satisfied as I flipped through the pages and saw the toothless grins, the unexpected snapshots and the unforgettable family events.

            A feeling of regret and being unwanted passed over me as I turned to the last page. I was intruding on their past lives and it wasn’t right for me to do so. Shutting the book, I placed it back on the shelf and walked out.

            I trotted down the steps and through the front room and flew out the doorway as I welcomed the unpleasant air. Realization hit me once I stood outside the once humble abode. Someone lived here, someone died here, they had a story to tell, a once great story but I wouldn’t be the one to tell it. It should be told by someone who knew them, someone who cared for them, someone who could have protected them.

            I turned and hurried at a fast pace down the lined road, my thoughts lingering on humans. I soon swore to myself that if I ever had a chance, I would protect them from my vile kind.

--------------------------------

Hey Guys!

            Sorry it isn’t very long; it was mostly a filler chapter. The next upload will hopefully be in three days! Thanks so much for sticking with me!

Love,

Ray