Chapter 22: Surprise

ANNA GASPS at the revelation. Loki is the one behind the Battle of New York. That must've been what Tony meant when he called him a war criminal. She'd seen countless news reports on the alien invasion that crippled New York City and alerted humanity that they were not alone in the universe. Somehow, the idea of there being a single mastermind behind the destruction never made it public.

"I assure you," Loki snaps back at Jane, slamming his book shut and causing both women to jump, "Spending my time in your presence is not my idea of pleasant, nor am I on this revolting planet of yours of my own free will."

"Then, please, do us all a favor and leave," Anna speaks up.

Both Loki and Jane stare at her, the former's face flashing momentarily with hurt, as she swings her legs out from under the mountain of blankets and Loki's leather overcoat. She grips her arm tightly against her body, careful not to agitate the stitches, and she stands to her feet. Unfortunately, yesterday's blood loss sends the room spinning. Pitching forward, the floor rushes to greet her. Loki moves to her side in the blink of an eye, his arms pulling her into his chest before she collapses.

"You should stay in bed," he murmurs, green eyes marked with uncharacteristic concern.

Anna's fists ball up against his chest, pushing weakly against his armor, as she shakes her head. A curtain of brown hair falls in front of her face, and only one blue eye is visible. She stops struggling, breathing heavy, and rests for a moment against him. Somehow, his nearness seems to cool her down. Well, physically at least. Inside, everything is in turmoil as she struggles against the man responsible for so much devastation.

"Let me go," she says simply, refusing to look him in the eyes.

Loki stares at her for a moment, resisting the urge to tuck the stray hair behind her ear, before releasing her. She sways for a moment, and Jane steps beside her to wrap a protective arm around her waist. The two women stand within his grasp, Anna a few inches taller than Jane, but she refuses to look up at him. Jane, however, is staring at him with fire in her large brown eyes. He can tell why Thor would be attracted to this stubborn mortal. She's quite brave, albeit foolish.

"You're not welcome here," Jane growls.

"I'm not leaving," Loki says, settling back in his armchair with an amused look on his face. "Anna is under my protection."

He picks up his book, cracking it open yet again. Jane rolls her eyes and lets out an exasperated sigh.

"This is like dealing with a child," she mumbles to herself. "You're a child."

Loki laughs. His smile reaches his sparkling emerald eyes, teeth are a brilliant white against his thin lips curled upward. Anna hazards a glance at him at the sound, her icy blue glare shooting daggers at his apparent mirth.

"I don't need your protection," she says with a frown.

"Because you've done so well on your own?" Loki chuckles again. "Or have you forgotten that yesterday's fiasco at Stark Tower was the second time you've been caught in the crossfire in as many days?"

Jerking away from Jane, Anna storms toward Loki and rips the book out of his hand. It flies across the room, smashing into a lamp, and setting off a burst of light before the room goes dark. The small curtained window does little to brighten the room, so Loki is drenched in darkness as he rises slowly from the chair.

"Take heed, mortal," he whispers to Anna, his tone deadly. "You will not survive long without my assistance. Provoke me, and you'll cease to exist before your next breath."

A chill runs down Anna's spine. His green eyes seem to glow at her in the dark, and his face is near enough to hers that she can feel his breath against her skin. Her left hand is clenched tightly by her side as she stares up at the Asgardian. Somewhere behind her, Jane is frozen in place, likely terrified by Loki's threats. Against her better judgement, Anna says nothing and turns on her heels slowly to leave Loki in the shadows.

"A sensible decision," Loki quips once her back is turned.

She whirls around with her hair whipping against her face as her left fist collides with Loki's jaw. Her knuckles crack with the impact, like wood snapping against steel, and the shock throws both of them backward. Jane steadies Anna, who shakes her injured hand as she hisses from the pain. Loki massages his face, eyes wide, as he takes in the brunette's fierce look of rage. He certainly didn't predict that reaction, nor did he expect her punch to actually hurt.

"I hate you," she fumes, tears creeping out from the corners of her blue eyes. 

Now playing: "Bang Bang" by XYLØ