Chapter 51: Severed

THOR LISTENS to his brother patiently, his eyes widening with recognition as Loki tells him of Restitution's threats on Anna's life should he not comply with their demands. After Stark's tower was invaded and they were taken, similar devices were implanted in both Pepper Potts and Jane Foster, allowing the organization to effectively imprison two members of the Avengers with little more than glass walls reinforced with metal bars. In reality, Thor could have escaped from such a prison with his eyes closed, but he would not attempt it out of concern for Jane.

It wasn't until Clint Barton arrived, along with Dr. Banner's, to break them out that a solution was discovered. From within his cell, Stark worked alongside Banner to create a vaccine to inoculate Jane and Pepper while Barton followed Stark's instructions to hack the portion of the building they were in and send it into lockdown, effectively isolating themselves from Restitution until a solution could be found. Thanks to the combined genius of the two men, Barton was able to vaccinate Jane and Pepper and allow for Stark and Thor's release. Without it, they'd still be under Restitution's control.

The same control that Loki is now under.

Sympathy surges through Thor for his brother, and he reaches out to rest a hand on his shoulder.

"Take heart, brother," he encourages him. "I know of a solution. Eir, please step aside."

The god of thunder approaches Anna's side, scooping one hand under her knees and the other under her back before lifting her gently to his chest. Loki jumps forward, furious, as Eir watches in shock.

"What do you think you're doing?" Loki hisses as Thor pushes past him and kicks open the door to the healer's chambers.

"Thor," Odin calls out, causing him to spin around and nod respectfully at his father before turning to Loki.

"I can save her," he tells them. "Or rather, Stark can save her. They did the same to Jane and Lady Pepper, and he was able to develop a cure. Perhaps it's not too late--"

Loki shakes his head in disbelief, "A cure? How can you be certain?"

"Loki..." Frigga places a hand on his shoulder which he shrugs off.

"I am certain, brother," Thor states firmly. "I have seen it with my own eyes. We haven't much time."

Frantically, Loki steps toward Thor to take Anna from him but Odin motions for the guards to seize him. He pulls against them, panic and betrayal flooding his green eyes as he whirls around to face the Allfather.

"Why?" Loki demands, tears filling his eyes. "I swore an oath to protect her, let me save her!"

Odin nods at Thor, whose face is grief-stricken as he watches another guard place magic-binding shackles on Loki's wrists.

"Go," the Allfather tells him, before turning to Loki. "Your brother will return the woman to Midgard, where their healers can tend to her. Heimdall tells me of these men he calls friends, so I have no doubt in their ability to produce a cure."

Pain ripples through Loki's face, every ounce of him struggling against his bonds as Thor takes one final glance at him - swearing to protect and save Anna at whatever the cost - before hurrying from the palace toward the Bifrost. He can feel his heart breaking at the thought of her suffering without him, at the potential for her death, and - even worse - at the idea of her waking without him by her side. She deserves so much better than he, but he is selfish enough to claim her love for his own nevertheless. This forced parting serves only to cleave his soul in two and fill the void with rage toward Odin.

Frigga watches, crestfallen, while Thor takes Anna back to Midgard and Loki continues to struggle against the guards. Her heart aches for her fallen son, the one she favored and loved as her own, and a single tear slides down her cheek at Odin's decision.

"Will you do nothing?" Loki begs her, his voice cracking with emotion. "Will you let him chain me like a dog, again, and throw me in the dungeon whilst my beloved dies?"

The queen sighs, "My son--"

"She will not die," Odin snaps, interrupting Frigga. "Nor should you look to your mother for pity. It is for her sake that you remain alive and standing, given all of your treachery. You should grovel at her feet not question her. I had hoped you would prove yourself in your freedom, but all you have done is strengthen the weight behind my decision. It is for your own good, Loki, as well as the good of the Nine Realms."

Loki laughs, a sickening sound of fury mixed with heart-wrenching anguish, "My own good. What do you care of my well-being? You should have left me to die in Jotunheim rather than force me to endure the pain of being your son."

Frigga gasps, and Odin sighs. He stares at the green-clad prince, disappointment etched in the lines on his face, before nodding to the guards. Loki thrashes against their increased force while they begin to move away, spittle flying from his face as his disheveled black hair sticks to his forehead. He hurls insult after insult at Odin. Screaming as he is pulled down the corridor and back to the dungeons, tears begin to pour down his face. His emerald eyes burn bright with anger against red-rimmed eyes as he watches his father turn away from him, only fueling the flames of his anger and desperation.

Odin exhales, closing his eye until the echoes of Loki's curses fade, "I am sorry, my son." 

Now Playing: "Set Fire to the Rain" by Adele.

*****
Author's Note

I hope this chapter breaks your heart because it broke mine. Gimme your comments. And votes.

Something is coming in tomorrow's update...

x