Chapter 46: Confession

IT'S BEEN A WEEK since Loki and Anna arrived in Asgard. Anna spent most of her time in the infirmary chambers with the unconscious prince, breaking only for meals with Frigga and rest. Even then, she did not sleep, but spent hours tormented by nightmares of Magnus and the horrors inflicted upon both her and Loki. In spite of the stress, Asgard has been kind to her. Her body has been restored to health following her torture. Color returned to her cheeks, and her blue eyes - although filled with worry for Loki - are regaining their previous luster.

Now, she sits next to Loki with a book on her lap, staring at the pages without absorbing any of the words. Frigga has provided a constant stream of reading material for her, but Anna cannot find it in herself to dive into a story whilst worrying about Loki. The healers are certain that the raven-haired prince will make a full recovery, but Anna is terrified of the reality that their return to Asgard may bring. After all, she is a mortal and not Loki's 'equal', according to Odin, which meant there would be difficulties ahead.

"Should I be worried that you have not finished the page by now?" A deep voice pulls Anna from her thoughts, and her face brightens at the sight of Loki watching her with one eye open. She smiles and closes the book, then reaches forward to squeeze his hand. The healer, Eir, bustles in before she can respond to him, so she stays in her chair beside him instead of showering him with affection like she wants to do.

"I am perfectly well," Loki says, clearly annoyed, as he closes both eyes and sighs whilst Eir checks his vitals. She smirks and winks at Anna. The brunette stifles a laugh, and Loki's eyes flash open to stare at her.

"Move slowly, highness," Eir instructs, stepping back from the bed. "You have been healed of all major damage, but you will need sleep."

Loki groans, pushing himself upright with a hiss of pain, "Haven't I already been sleeping?"

"Rest," Eir insists. "Or you'll spend more time in these chambers."

He bites his tongue, rolling his eyes at the woman behind her back as she leaves the room, before slipping his legs off the side of the bed so his bare feet touch the cool ground. Anna places the book on the ground and stands to offer Loki her arm. He brushes her off, shaking his head, and stands before stumbling forward.

"Be careful," Anna warns as she tries to steady him. "Don't over-exert yourself."

Loki lifts an eyebrow, then he glances down at Anna's arm which is wrapped around his waist.

"I can walk on my own volition," he tells her with an edge. She blushes and moves to release him, but he captures her hand and brings it to his lips. "I am sorry. It is difficult being in Asgard again."

Anna smiles and shrugs, "I missed you."

"How foolish of you," Loki replies, his green eyes sparkling. He lifts his hand to her cheek, brushing his thumb across her soft skin, before leaning forward to press his lips against hers. The kiss is gentle at first, and Loki's hand moves to Anna's hair as he deepens the kiss. She snakes her arms around his neck, pressing her body against his, until there is no space left between them. A moan slips from her lips as his kisses move up her jawline to her ear, and he smiles at the sound before capturing her mouth once again with his own.

"Loki," she murmurs, unable to detach herself from him. He kisses her again, his tongue exploring the inside of her mouth with equal parts passion and gentleness, leaving her craving more of him. His other hand clings to her waist, keeping her flush against him, and Anna swears she can feel his heart beating against her chest. The sensation leaves her breathless, her heart racing as she allows herself to get lost in his kiss, and she completely forgets what she was going to say.