Chapter 24: What's Next?

LOKI SUCKS IN A BREATH, steeling his face from the shock of what he just overheard in the other room. After giving the two women a moment to cool off, he followed them toward the lab only to catch the end of Anna's explanation of her animosity toward him.

He killed her betrothed.

The proximity to the destruction he caused in New York gives him an unsettled feeling, one he isn't sure he's experienced before. Regret? Perhaps. After spending day after day in a threadbare Asgardian prison, he allowed himself to question his actions, but...this is something deeper.

Running a hand through his long black hair, he considers rushing into the room and filling it with exorbitant apologies. Part of him craves to profess his innocence, declare Thanos as the mastermind of the entire plot, seek forgiveness for his actions. His pride demands otherwise. While he acted not completely of his own accord during the Battle of New York, he had yet to admit such to anyone. His own weakness made him vulnerable to Thanos' manipulation, to his treachery, and he refused to admit that weakness to anyone but himself.

Instead, he clears his throat and enters the room with a blank face.

Anna turns to him instantly, almost as if she can feel a chill in the air from his presence, her face like stone. Her jaw is clenched, her eyes are dark, and her left fist curls tightly into itself. Rage boils beneath the surface, that much Loki can see, and he can't help but smirk at her obvious reaction to his presence.

"Are you finished?" He asks, injecting a sense of boredom into every word.

Jane whips around at the sound of his voice, "Go to hell."

"Believe me," Loki snarls. "I'm already there."

The astrophysicist growls, slipping from her perch and braving a step toward him, before Anna reaches out and grabs her arm. Careful not to lose her balance, she tugs Jane backward.

"Don't," Anna instructs, her lips barely moving.

After releasing Jane's arm, she clutches her right arm to herself as she stands and crosses the room to stop in front of Loki. A strand of dark brown hair falls across her eyes, and he resists the urge to tuck it behind her ear. The woman in front of him is a walking contradiction - she stares at him fiercely, a sweltering volcano of emotion that screams strength, while her corporeal existence speaks of fragility. It's as if her body has not yet discovered the strength that is embedded deep within her very being.

"What do you want?" She asks, drawing him from his thoughts.

He frowns, "We are wasting time on trivialities. I care not of your opinion of me, nor do I particularly wish to be in your company. I am certain you share my sentiments. Unfortunately, neither of us is in a position to dispute the current circumstance, and I would like to end this enterprise as soon as possible. Are we in agreement?"

She stares at him for a moment, her blue eyes scanning his face carefully. He narrows his green eyes at her, holding her gaze, before she stares down at the ground.

"We are," she murmurs, inspecting the floor as she searches for the words to speak. After a few moments, she lifts her chin to face him. "Anything else, your highness? Or is there a better way to address a failed and fallen prince?"

Loki lifts an eyebrow, surprised that the small mortal in front of him has the gall to make such a speech, especially given his reputation. Even Jane seems shocked by it as she watches the interaction, completely amazed by the Anna's quiet strength.

"We leave in an hour," Loki replies coldly, his green eyes drilling into her icy glare.

He turns, disappearing as quickly as he arrived. Jane takes a step toward Anna, but she holds up a hand to stop her approach.

"I need a moment," Anna whispers. "Alone."

"Of course," Jane nods, heading toward the corridor Loki disappeared into. "Absolutely. I'll be sure to keep him away from you until you're ready to leave."

Anna nods, "Thanks."

The astrophysicist smiles weakly before turning on her heels, leaving Anna alone in the lab. For a few moments, she remains cemented to the floor where she stands, unable to move. Her chest rises and falls as she takes a deep breath, willing herself into action.

Moving across the room, she sits in front of a small laptop running through calculations in the corner. A glance over her shoulder confirms that she is indeed alone, and she tabs into an internet browser to open an incognito window. She opens her email, ignoring the hoards of unread messages - most of which are from her editor - and clicking the second message from the top.

FROM: E
SUBJECT: Our mutual friend

MESSAGE: [blank]

She stares at the screen for a moment, allowing her brain to process through what she is about to do. After a few seconds have passed, she clicks "Reply," then sends her response.

FROM: Anna R.
SUBJECT: Re: Our mutual friend

MESSAGE: What's next?

Now playing: "Toxic" by Rumer Willis. [Amazing cover. Give it a listen.]