Chapter Seven-The Boy Behind it All

Annabeth's POV

Monday morning found me in the library. I had a huge test coming up in math that would probably determine whether I passed or failed the class. I hate it when teachers do that. I was cramming a few last minute facts. I needed to make sure I knew how to reverse logarithms and natural logarithms, of course, I was pretty sure I had it down, but well...there was a test on it today. 

I was practicing solving the equations when Piper dumped her bag on the ground and sat down in the chair next to mine so hard that I jumped, "Holy crap! Piper, don't do that!"

"Sorry," she grinned, obviously not a bit sorry, "I just wanted to tell you that my dad approves, he's talked to Chiron - rather, he had Mellie talk to Chiron - but I'm going!"

I through my arms around her, "That's awesome! All year?"

"Yup!" then she narrowed her eyes, "Unless you plan on backing out and coming back go Goode."

"I told you," I said, packing up my math homework, "My mom sighed me up for the all year sessions."

"What about your dad?"

I tensed, "What about him?"

"Well, does he know that you're going to Camp soon?"

"My father," I said tersely, "doesn't know anything."

"Okay, okay," Piper said, "Believe me, I understand."

"Annabeth!" Selena burst through the doors of the library, saw Piper and scowled, "I was going to tell her first."

"You're coming too?" I asked.

She rolled her eyes, "Yes, Mom said it was fine."

I laughed, "Come on, Selena, let's go find everybody else."

In the end, it seemed everyone got permission to go. Even Frank's grandmother seemed enthusiastic. Everyone seemed excited, except Luke. He was still stressing about leaving his mom alone. 

"Luke, I'm sure your mom will be fine," I said, handing him my backpack while I grabbed our lunches, "Hold this. But if you want to stay home-"

He shook his head, "No I want to get out of that house. I'm sick of PB&J. Besides, what am I supposed to do next year? Be a loner like Jackson?"

I grimaced, "Luke, did you not see him at Java Jones's on Friday? He isn't quite a 'loner.'"

He shrugged, slinging my bag over his arms like a mama kangaroo, "Just one of Clarisse's catch phrases. 'Loner Jackson.'"

"Catch phrases?" I asked as we headed towards our table.

"You know...'Loner Jackson, Captain Potty-sludge, Prissy.'"

"'Prissy?'"

Luke chuckled, "That's my favorite."

I rolled my eyes, "You guys are all idiots," I said, just in time to arrive at a table with all my friends seated around it.

"Thanks," Rachel muttered as I took my seat.

Piper licked barbecue sauce off her fingers, "What did we do this time?"

I accepted my backpack from Luke and set it on the ground between my feet, "Percy Jackson has nicknames now?"

"Not that we had to make them," Clarisse twisted one of her armbands menacingly, "He practically comes up with them himself, I just put it to words."

"Sure, whatever you say," I had just begun digging into my fried chicken salad when he walked by our table.

"Speak of the devil," Piper muttered. Rachel snorted.

I studied Jackson as he passed. He was grinning and talking into his cell phone, one relaxed hand tucked inside the pocket of his worn jeans. His dark hair tickled his forehead, threatening to cover his eyebrows. And his eyes, green as the ocean crinkled with pleasure as he laughed at something on the other end. He passed our table without glancing their way and headed out the back doors of the lunchroom. 

"Prissy," someone murmured. 

Not sure why I was doing it, I slung my bag over one shoulder and stood.

"Annabeth?" Selena asked, "What's up?"

"Nothing, uh...bathroom." Leaving my lunch on the table for my scavenging friends to devour, I made my way in a wide loop around the cafeteria towards the back doors. I think I was curious. I think all of us were. I just liked getting answers myself before waiting for rumor and gossip to get it for me. My friends on the other hand....

Once outside, I looked around at the dozen or so students milling about the lawn. I spotted him almost immediately. He had finished his conversation and was now lying on the grass, his head propped up on his backpack and an arm strewn over his eyes. 

I marched over to him, taking care to stand directly in the sunlight. My shadow fell over his face. He moved his arm and peered up at me. 

"What do you want?"

I blinked, "Oh, sorry to disturb you, Dr. Disdainful, I'll just go. By the way, you have crumbs on your shirt."

I know what you're thinking, Dr. Disdainful? Seriously? Don't blame me, it was the first thing that popped into my head. Of course, as I started walking away, I began to think it had sounded stupid. But then, I was talking to Percy Jackson, so I don't know why it mattered.

"Hey, wait!"

I turned to see Jackson getting to his feet.

"Look, I'm sorry," he raised a hand to brush the crumbs off his chest, "I just didn't think any of you would have anything to say that I'd want to hear."

I crossed my arms, "Presume much?"

He scowled, "I could ask you the same thing."

"What are you talking about?"

"Never mind," he shoved his hands in his jacket pockets, "Did you have something to say?"

"I..." I actually didn't know what I'd come over to say. I guess I just wanted to get to know him a little better. Mission accomplished. "...just wanted to say welcome to Goode. I didn't think anybody had told you that yet."

"Nope, you'd be the first," Jackson grimaced, "Is that all?"

"I guess," I said, turning away. The moment I was back inside, I pulled out my headphones and stuffed them in my ears. I didn't want anyone trying to talk to me right now. Apparently, Jackson wasn't as stupid as my friends seemed to think. He clearly knew at least some of the things they said behind his back, and didn't appreciate it. No, he hadn't been exactly friendly, but I figured he was warranted a little time to be angry.