Chapter Thirteen-Dates and Pranks

Percy's POV

"Is that the best you can do? You're not even trying!" I swung my sword with my left hand a couple times for dramatic effect, "Come and get me!"

The dummy regarded me with a blank expression. I charged at the manakin, slashing viciously at every stuffed limb I could. After not much work from the dummy, and a certain level of exhaustion from me, I was surrounded by a pile of fluff. A bead of sweat dripped into my eye, and I swiped it away with the back of my hand. 

Panting, but not pausing long enough to catch my breath, I stumbled over to the next manakin. I'd been up since six, not able to sleep, and fretting about the group of new kids. After an hour or so of lying awake in bed, and then pacing around the cabin, I decided to distract myself with sword practice. 

Slash, stab, swipe, smack! The second dummy disintegrated. I adjusted the sling on my arm so it sat more comfortably, then turned to the third manakin.

"Uh, Percy, are you okay?"

I spun around to find Jason, Leo, and Hazel standing by the fence, watching me. "Yeah," I said, totally unconvincingly, "Yeah, I'm fine."

Leo snorted, "Whatever, dude. You just turned two dummies into smoothies."

"I'm fine," I said again, sheathing my sword to prove my point, "I just haven't practiced in a while, and nobody else was up."

They all shared a look, which annoyed me. "What?"

Jason looked at me seriously, "Perce, I know Thalia practically forced you to talk your mom into coming back, and I know you've been saying you're so happy to be rid of Goode, but if you wanted to, you know...."

"What, go back? Are you insane?"

Jason shifted uncomfortably and Hazel stepped forward, "Percy, everyone knows you love Camp a lot. It's just that we noticed you seemed a little...well, not yourself last night, and now this. We just wanted to make sure everything was alright."

I took a deep breath, trying to not get defensive and remember that they were my friends and they were just checking up on me. "I'm just a little stressed. It's nothing." I tried for a change of subject, "How's the prank planning coming?"

Leo grinned mischievously, which looked really creepy on his impish face. "With the number of people participating, it was hard to come up with something where multiple people could have a part, but I managed to come up with a few ideas."

"Don't tell him too much, Leo," Jason glanced at me suspiciously, "He still hasn't confirmed cooperation." 

I rolled my eyes then asked Hazel, "Are you in on this?"

She looked uncomfortable, "Well, I'm not saying that they don't deserve it, but doesn't it kind of encourage their pranks if we use one on them?"

"Is there a problem with that?" Leo asked defensively, "Pranking's not against the rules, you know. Besides, I thought you liked it."

"I just laughed, once! And Rufus was a bully. Travis and Connor are inconsiderate, but that doesn't mean--"

Leo laughed, "Jeez, Hazel. We're not going to hurt them. They are our friends, after all. We just want to let them know what it feels like."

"Well, alright. But I'm not helping you."

"Fine." Leo didn't miss a beat, "What about you, Perce?"

I shrugged, "As long as you don't make me your faceman." 

"Oh, I think we can manage to find someone willing to do that." Leo turned to Hazel, "You want to go to the stables before class?"

She rolled her eyes, but I could tell she was pleased, "Sure." She took Leo's hand and they walked away.