Chapter Twelve-The Athena Cabin

Alright, I did it again. I keep finishing early. Happy late-Christmas! Here is my gift to you:

Annabeth POV

Malcolm gripped my hand as Percy Jackson returned to his seat. His words were ringing in my ears--though I didn't think Malcolm understood their significance, he was just glad I was in his cabin. I knew Jackson had been talking directly to my friends. He had noticed them and recognized them. But instead of using his leadership and influence to set the entire camp against the kids who had made fun of him at Goode, Percy had welcomed them. Though, Annabeth did catch the warning hidden in Percy's words of family and companionship. 

Thalia took a seat beside Percy and gave him a fist bump. I got the feeling it wasn't just a good speech kind of gesture, but that Thalia was thanking a good friend for helping her out. Of course, their friendship was pretty obvious from all the teasing they participated in. I can't really explain it, but imagine learning that one of your friends was better friends with someone you usually tried to avoid. It was kind of a weird feeling. 

A group of kids stood up with guitars and lyres and--for some reason--an accordion. "One more song before bed, eh?" The little band struck a few chords and everyone around me burst into song. It was a dumb song about milking a magic goat, but it made me laugh. Especially when Malcolm started mimicking milking motions with his hands. 

"You look ridiculous!" I hollered at him over the racket. He made his face even more serious and concentrated and squirted me with the invisible utters. 

After the song, everybody cheered again, and people started to leave. I glanced around to see if my friends were following their cabins or if they seemed to linger. I couldn't pick them out of the crowd, so I figured they'd ingratiated themselves quite well. Except for Piper who glanced back at me from under the arm of a classic Barbie doll and made a face. 

"I knew you would make Athena, Annabeth!"Malcolm hugged me again, "I'm so excited! Tomorrow, we have cartography, weapon analysis, basic training, and--"

"Hey, Malcolm!" Thalia was making her way up the emptying bleachers, the tall blond gladiator from before trailing after her. 

Malcolm turned, "Oh, hey Thalia."

"I just wanted to introduce my brother to Annabeth." I caught her giving Malcolm a pointed look. "Annabeth," Thalia continued, "this is Jason. Jason, Annabeth."

Jason smiled at me uncomfortably, "Hey."

I smiled, "You're the one who was fighting Percy today."

Jason raised his eyebrows, "Yeah. Do you know Percy?"

I quickly shook my head, "No. He did just give a speech."

"You know," Malcolm cut in, "He's got a point, Annabeth. Percy went to Goode High for a few weeks. That's where you were going right? You sure you've never heard his name before?"

"Nope," I shrugged, "We must have been in different spheres."

"You're loss," Malcolm shrugged, "he's a really great guy." Which, of course, sent a lovely pang of guilt right through my chest; I hadn't really tried all that hard to get to know him.

"Thalia," Jason said, "It's getting late. We should go to bed."

Thalia quirked her brows, "What? You scared of ghost stories, little bro?"

Jason did not look amused, "I'm not talking about freaking harpies, but we're going to get in trouble if we stay out too long."

"Whatever," Thalia rolled her eyes, winking at me, "Come on, Malcolm, Annabeth, let's get down to the cabins."