Chapter Nine-Camp Hero

N/A Hey guys! So, I don't know if you saw my updated profile, but since nobody commented any reminders, I guessed you probably hadn't. For those of you who don't know, I am giving myself a new goal. I will be putting out a new chapter (in my current story) on the first day of every month! Hurray! Now you all get to bug me the day before and remind me that I have so many fans waiting on me;)

Annabeth

I watched the trees fly past the window, fiddling excitedly with the hem of my shirt. Everything is so green. After living in cities my whole life, so many plants were mesmerizing. 

Nervously silent in the driver's seat was my dad. Even though going to Camp Hero was my mom's idea, she called dad up and said she'd be too busy and could he please take her. Dad and I had never gotten along very well. I guess I was still kind of mad at him for not trying harder to win custody over me and Malcolm. And now he's remarried and has two little step-sons, and doesn't seem to miss his actual biological children very much. 

So yes, it made for a pretty awkward car ride. 

Especially with Rachel and Luke in the backseat. Even though they both had deteriorating relationships with their dads, or perhaps because they did, they followed my example and stayed silent. 

Dad drummed a thumb on the steering wheel, "Athena said your brother is at this...camp?"

I nodded once. 

He cleared his throat and glanced sideways at me. I stared stoically out the windshield. 

"That's nice. You'll have somebody to talk to."

"Dad," I said, failing to completely keep the disdain out of my voice, "All my friends are going to be there."

"Right. I just meant-" he slammed on the brakes, "Oh, yes. Here we are."

Out the driver's side window stood a massive hill. Pines and shrubbery littered it's face, and at the top, a towering pine tree hulked over the little valley. Milling at the base of the hill was a group of familiar teenagers. 

With a quick, "Thanks, Dad," I fumbled for the door latch and leapt out of the car, Luke and Rachel right behind me. 

"Thank you, Mr. Chase," Rachel chirped before closing her door. We shouldered our backpacks and marched over to Selena, Piper, Frank, and Clarisse who were carrying there luggage and grinning nervously. Though Clarisse's was more like a confident grimace, and Selena had an entire two suitcases. Almost defiantly, Piper had brought only a simple drawstring, and I caught her shooting Selena annoyed looks. 

"Hey guys!" Rachel said cheerfully.

"Annabeth," Luke nudged me, "Your dad's waving at you."

I glanced back at the car. He was indeed waving and mouthing something that was probably, "Have a good time!" or something cheesy like that. With a forced smile, I waved back. Finally he put the car into gear and drove away, pine needles crunching beneath the tires. 

I turned back to the others, the realization suddenly hitting me that this was actually happening. Now, you might think I'm being melodramatic, but imagine your parents pulling you out of school and dropping you of at an awesome camp instead. 

Luke grinned, "Well, I can't say I'll be missing Goode."

There was a general laughing and agreeing. 

"Oh, I'm sure there'll be plenty of other things that you won't like," I couldn't help adding, "This isn't going to be play time for the rest of the year. We're still going to learn, you know."