Chapter Thirty-Five-Fried Ants

Annabeth's POV

"You have freed me," said Mnemosyne. "I thank you."

I grimaced, handing the nugget she'd given me to Percy. It wasn't ambrosia, but it seemed to reverse the effects of the venom. He scarfed it down. I studied him with concern. He looked pale and tired. He'd been jovial before, but I could see ghosts in his eyes. When we got back to camp, and everything got back to normal, we would have a lot to talk about.

"You could have been a whole lot more helpful," I gumbled, "I mean I get that Menoetius forced you or whatever, but you didn't need to take away all our memories."

She stayed silent for a moment. "I did try to help. It was difficult for me to give you the hints I did. Besides, who do you think it was that got you and Percy to meet at that school, and who was it that convinced you and your friends 'parents' to let you come to Camp Halfblood?"

I glanced at Percy, wondering how on earth all the teasing and name-calling fit into this. Would it put a permanent damper on his relationship with all the old crew? It didn't seem likely, Percy was usually a pretty easy going guy. However, it did make me concerned that my friends had so easily fit into the roles of bullies. 

"I know your thoughts," Menoetius said, "Menoetius heightened your friends' emotions. It was not their fault."

Still, I worried. Even if that were true, it meant the emotions were still there. And that made me defensive for Percy's sake. 

Menoetius was still standing there in her smoky glory. "Thanks," I mumbled, guessing that's what she was waiting for.

She nodded. "You have done well, Annabeth Chase." Then she melted away into mist. 

Percy snorted, "Yeah, don't bother helping us get out of this place, or anything. We can handle it."

I huffed my agreement. "There's not much I can do about your ribs," I said, "but the axe wound is patched up for now."

Percy nodded. He lifted his arm with the dead hand. His fingers twitched. "I can feel my fingers! Sort of."

"Perrrrcy!" a quiet voice moaned from somewhere behind me.

"Grover!" I exclaimed, remembering. "Be right back," I said to Percy.

I hurried over to where I'd left our satyr friend. Grover was sitting up, looking around at all the mermekes with panic.

When he saw me, relief cruised his expression. "Oh thank the gods! I can't feel my hooves!"

"Can you usually feel them, Grover?" I asked, going over to him and draping his arm over my shoulders.

"Well..." Grover hesitated, "I think so."

I blinked. "Okay.... Let's get out of here, come on."

Grover wasn't heavy; he seemed to be recovering well. At least, he was attempting to walk with some success.

When we reached Percy, the idiot was trying to sit up.

"Percy!"

He winced. "We gotta go. The ants are almost done. Hey G-man, you good?"

Grover's face drained of color when he saw Percy. "Perrrcy! What happened?"

"Later," I said. "I have to figure out how to get the two of you out of here."

"I can walk," Percy insisted.

I gave him a look. "You lost so much blood!"

His eyes widened. "Too late! Help me up!"