~PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT~

I'm terribly sorry to disappoint you all like this--I gave you three chapters in August, so I'd say I'm still in the clear--but I will not be posting a new chapter for a few weeks. Senior year has hit me right between the eyes, and I have to focus on applying for this thing called, "college."  

I know, you all hate me. And I know most of you probably haven't even read this far. But have no fear, if you crave more of my writing, please go pursue my original novel: The Sunset Stone. I provided you with a sneak peak at the first chapter here.

Prologue

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Tram asked, "This isn't like other grabs we've done."

Crad rolled his eyes. He ran a hand through his hair, making it stick up even worse as he studied the nobleman's mansion. The building was not especially large, but stately, and surrounded by an eight foot wall. Lanterns glowed in the night at ten foot intervals around the wall. "I told you, I'm ready. If you're willing teh risk yer neck like this, then I'm willin' teh help yeh."

Tram raised his eyebrows. Crad was probably lying. In the other jobs they'd worked together, there wasn't much of a chance to stab each other in the back; they were just simple pickpocketing and conning. This heist was much more complex. There were plenty of opportunities for either of them to take what they wanted and leave the other to take the fall.

Not that Tram had considered it.

Crad was actually a really good asset. He knew his way around Levran commerce, picking out the best targets and knowing the times of markets and guard patrols. Being raised on a farm, Crad had spent a lot of time selling his family's wares at the market, during which he had done a lot of observing.

Also, Crad was sixteen. It was nice to have someone bigger and stronger to ward off unwanted confrontations. Tram had had a hard time keeping any of his prizes because other Slum-Runners stole them from him. Since he started hanging around Crad, Tram actually had the ability to buy food instead of stealing it.

No, Tram didn't intend to betray Crad. But that didn't mean that Crad wouldn't betray Tram. He would have to be even more on his guard than usual.

"There's the sentry," Crad whispered. They were sitting on the roof of a house outside the nobility's property. An armed guard strolled toward them on their side of the gate.

"Right." Tram maneuvered to the edge of the roof. "You'll come back and let me in?"

"O' course," Crad replied with a hint of tired exasperation, "Tha's the plan."

Tram swallowed nervously. The plan wouldn't work without him. Crad would need him for the distraction. He would let him inside.

Tram hopped off the low roof. He waited a few minutes in the darkness. The guard cleared the gate. Tram stumbled forward. "Help!" The guard spun in his direction, brandishing his broadsword.

"Help!" Tram yelled again. He skidded to a halt in front of the sentry. Tram gripped the man's shirt front with feigned desperation. "He's after me! Please sir, I can't shake him! He's going to hurt me."

The guard shoved Tram roughly off of him. "I am not payed to help filthy Slum-Runner boys. Begone from here or I shall have to arrest you."

Tram sniffled, "Please!" Out of the corner of his eye, Tram saw Crad's silhouette approach the wall with a leisurely gate. He was smart enough to avoid the lantern light as he began to scramble over. Afraid the sentry would hear Crad's clothing scrape against the stone, Tram kept talking, "Please! I can't go back to Kerlac. He hates me! And now that I ran away...he'll kill me!" Tram shuddered. He grabbed the man's sword arm pleadingly. "Please, you have to help me!"