foreword: synopsis + UPDATED author note

S Y N O P S I S

Paiten Hearth is a seventeen year-old biracial South African girl who has been single- handedly raised by her caucasion father. Her mother has been absent for all of her life. Paiten is an all-around well-rounded sweet girl with dreams of playing for the national Hockey Women's Team for South Africa.

Everything is going smoothly in her mundane life until her father gets a girlfriend named Anna. Anna is a direct threat to her because she is the first woman after her mother that her father has taken interest in.

What's worse is that Paiten finds herself in a tough situation, unsure of her sexuality and all her sexual, confusing thoughts towards her father's girlfriend don't help much.

A U T H O R N O T E

UPDATE 26 JUNE [VERY IMPORTANT]:

after three and a half years since I first wrote this book, it sits on a whopping 147K reads.

i have gotten DMs from so many lovely people who have told me news that this book has helped them come out or that they are ecstatic about the South African representation.

with that being said there are a few things I have read in the comments that either have me rolling my eyes all the way back into my head or frustrate me.

i'm not one to spoil a reader's experience by forcing them to understand my personal opinion but there are some FAQ's i'd like to answer here and would like everyone to adhere to.

1: in the midst of BLACKLIVESMATTER i would like to urge all of you to read this book, ESPECIALLY the first chapter with some nuance.

if you'd like to clue yourself up, google South African apartheid and understand the human rights violations Black people suffered for decades due to systematic racism before you fix your fingers to type "race doesn't matter!", painting one of the characters as an aggressive "angry black woman" and other racially insensitive things.

instead of aggravating me and my Black readers, you will be blocked from commenting, it's that simple.

2: the legal age of consent in South Africa is 16. I'm going to repeat that again, THE LEGAL AGE OF CONSENT IN SOUTH AFRICA IS 16, meaning that according to South African law, a sixteen-year-old is old enough to consent to sex with an adult.

this is a story that takes place in SOUTH AFRICA and was written by a SOUTH AFRICAN , i need all of you to keep this in mind as you read this story. in terms of legality, no laws are broken here.

i wrote this book when i was sixteen going on seveteen, freshly out of the closet and with the mindset that to be pursued by an older woman was the shit. perhaps we can have a discussion about how teenagers are impressionable, especially to the affections of an older person.

i can admit that morally this book is skewed and looking back on it now as a twenty-one year old, i personally wouldn't do what Paiten does -- but guess what, this book is FICTION, so before you fix to ask me why i'm promoting paedophilia, maybe don't?
and if reading material where a 17-year-old is intimate with an adult makes you uncomfortable, rather you skip this book and i mean this in the kindest of ways, but stop attacking me because you're applying American/European laws of consent. kthanks.

sincerely, a very experated and tired Black Woman. enjoy the book.

-dzangie ❤️

D I S C L A I M E R

this book contains :

- racial slurs / anti-blackness

-mature content

-LGBT content

-age gap : note the age of consent in South Africa is 16.

-cheating

- quick note : this story is set in South Africa. in our country the word "coloured" is not a racial slur and is its own racial ethnicity/identity.

D E D I C A T I O N

to : the LGBT community of South Africa.

C O P Y R I G H T

all rights reserved .